1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting takedown of Whitlock.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrianM, Jun 11, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Your ignorance is legion.
    The sad thing is idiots like you actually vote.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What do you mean "do almost anything for him" i/r/t Simmons? What would ever ask them to do?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They like him and they embrace the chance to work for his site.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Boy, now I feel bad.

5. I misread this at first, then saw "(rightly so, in my opinion)". Hip-hop and hip-hop culture isn't the problem, it's the idiots who can't discern "art" from reality. I'm a huge hip-hop head from a bad/gang neighborhood, my dad was a drug dealer, all the cliches you've heard. Turned out just fine.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I had, though I think it was on the cited podcast with Simmons and Whitlock. I'd heard that was part of why he made his ESPN return.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I guess I'm just naive. I always thought it was the columnist's job to write his or her opinion. If it went against the grain, so be it.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I did. and I re-read it. The argument is so weak it's not much of an argument. You cannot rationalize a culture that is built on money, misogyny, homophobia and violence, where educating yourself is a stigma and there's no respect for any authority figure. Whitlock has the courage to say this.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not a weak argument. I may not necessarily agree with all of it, but it's not weak.

The idea that black America had the deck completely, legally stacked against it -- in heinous ways! -- was true until the 1970s. Hundreds of years of vicious oppression. And you expect an entire culture to shake that off so quickly <i>without</i> revolution?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait, what?

You're joking, right? You're just playing into your reputation as someone who is only aware of activities that happen within your happy little valley, right?

11. Shot glass has one competitor for stupidest poster, but I give that person credit for trying.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is nothing wrong at all with going against the grain. It becomes an issue when the writer doesn't actually believe what they are writing. People, on some level, can usually tell when this is the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted