1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting sports facts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

All of the below sports facts are from this Web site: http://funny2.com/facts.htm There are lots of interesting facts on this page that have nothing to do with sports, but I cut and pasted the sports ones here. The Gaylord Perry was the most amazing. I really don't know if all of these are accurate, but hopefully they are:

All major league baseball umpires must wear black underwear while on the job (in case their pants split).

In 1920, Babe Ruth out-homered every American League team.

Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike each year than all the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

In 1950, President Harry Truman threw out the first ball twice at the opening day Washington DC baseball game; once right handed and once left handed.

In 1920, Babe Ruth broke the single season home run record, with 29. The same year, he became the first major leaguer to hit 30 home runs. The same year, he became the first major leaguer to hit 40 home runs. The same year, he became the first major leaguer to hit 50 home runs.

Sports Illustrated magazine allows subscribers to opt out of receiving the famous swimsuit issue each year. Fewer than 1% choose this option.

CBS's fine for Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" in the 2004 Super Bowl show was $550,000. This could be paid with only 7.5 seconds of commercial time during the same Super Bowl telecast.

One of pitcher Nolan Ryan's jockstraps recently sold at auction for $25,000.

The Nike swoosh was designed by a Portland State University student, and purchased by Nike for $35.

A British gymnast survived a fall from a fourth story window because he went into a somersault and came down on two feet.

Pope John Paul II was named an "Honorary Harlem Globetrotter" in 2000.

In 1963, baseball pitcher Gaylord Perry remarked, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." On July 20, 1969, a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, Gaylord Perry hit his first (and only) home run.

Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under is cap to keep him cool. He changed it every 2 innings.

The pitches that Babe Ruth hit for his last-ever home run and that Joe DiMaggio hit for his first-ever homerun where thrown by the same man.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Are you sitting in line for a PS3 or was it the creater of this website?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thank you Cliff Claven

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Who are two people who have never been in my kitchen?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

three people

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Well, dammit!

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just did a him, didn't I?

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I know for sure most of those are true. MLB or Japanese baseball or somebody banned the cabbage leaf thing recently. The swoosh was purchased for $35, but I'm sure that designer now has plenty of stock options with Nike.

Draft saved Draft deleted