1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting situation in Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

That's how we roll in the 305.
    Better a public official than a high school freshman. I think ...

2. hurricane

hurricane Member

Whoops. New supe backtracks, says he had a "playful" relationship with the reporter.

http://cbs4.com/defede/carvalho.miami.dade.2.816157.html

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

try this again.. in miami.. anything is possible.. corruption is a way of life

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Could the Globe legally dismiss an employee for bad judgment (to say the least) that had not previously come to light? I certainly think so.

Consider this: Say she were sued for libel while at the Globe. Would the Globe want to defend her in court and have the opposing attorney be able to use the kind of ammunition now at hand to challenge her honesty?

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

if she's an at-will employee, they could dismiss her for any reason or no reason at all.

i think the globe is a union paper so it might not be so easy.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Rule one, Mr. Carvalho: Never date a woman whose hairline has receded back farther than yours.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is when the hairline starts receding forward that you really have to worry!

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

Her 'no comment' certainly doesn't help matters.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Hairline? I thought her e-mails said she was fuzzy.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

To me, this is almost like one of those lying-on-your-resumes transgressions. Sleeping with a source is one of the cardinal sins of this industry's ethics, as bad in its way (IMHO) as plagiarism. If the Globe knew about a job candidate's past incident of plagiarism and gave that person a fresh start, that's one thing. But if the incident came to light only after the person presented himself or herself to the Globe as a professional journalist with sound skills and values, I've got to think that person's job would be on the line.

Same thing here. Had she been caught in this shady relationship with the source while she still was at the Herald, then the Globe would have known what it was getting -- and forgiving. But to find out this way, when the reporter undoubtedly did not 'fess up during the hiring process, is misrepresentation. Which is a good enough reason to severe ties.

If, that is, journalism ethics much fucking matter anymore.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think Barbara Walters might disagree.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Tania deLuzuriaga has resigned from the Boston Globe.

http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=151190

Draft saved Draft deleted