1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting situation in Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

E-mails indicate "relationship" between potential superintendent and former Herald reporter. He says they are doctored/fake.
    Offered without further comment.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/683177.html

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. And if he did have a relationship with her, who cares (other than his wife)?

Glad I didn't have to write that story.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, Ace, assuming you didn't mean to put on the blue font, if she was covering him and having a relationship with him at the same time, and nobody knew, then a lot of people would care at her paper, and rightfully so.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. But the story was written as a superintendent having a relationship with a reporter -- not as a reporter having a relationship with a source.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So that's who cares.

As a senior school board official, he would be a source.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

He was a source who was a very important and a high-ranking official on her beat, not just a source per se.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Boston Globe must be proud of hiring her away from the Miami Herald, given the ethical morasse and the content of those e-mails.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Any chance this guy is telling the truth?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The part about it being a concern to the Herald were the last four grafs in a very long story.

That's my beef.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If someone doctored the e-mail communications between the guy and the reporter, who would it be, how would they have access and what would the motive be, considering she's no longer on the job or even in town?

I'm not doubting, I'm just asking. That's some pretty nefarious bullshit, to tamper with e-mail contents. Gotta think a computer forensics person could ID that.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

If the e-mails are legit, the Globe will have to dismiss her post haste.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Can they legally dismiss an employee for something that happened at a previous job?

Draft saved Draft deleted