1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting situation in Detroit - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't know what's more surprising: You feeling bad or you playing basketball.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Define "playing."

I was joking about the being responsible. Although I did do the lowbridging. I confess because the statute of limitations is up.

Oh, and people who believe that working high school games is a snap job worthy only for hacks is as out of touch with reality as they are stupid.

3. ned racine

ned racine Member

i wonder how many assignments Perry will take off from to go bowling...He is a great bowler..has a few 300 games...but the biggest joke at the Palace was figuring out what bowling alley Perry was at whenever his backup had the assignment

4. dcdream

dcdream Member

Two words: Jayson Blair.

His punishment: FIRED.

Two more words: Mitch Albom.

His punishment: Retains job for the same offense as Blair, which was fabrication!

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not at all. Blair deceived his editors. Albom's editors knew what he was doing.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I need to clarify two things: One, Saylor did not steal from LOuisville; he lifted quotes for a football story from the Toledo Blade.
    Second, This is Farrell's third documented offense. The first was lifting the NBA caps. The second happened during the investigation of the FIrst offenswe, where they found he had committed the same offense the year before, but never got caught. This time was his third offense.

7. Is that true?
    If it is, holy fuck.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

More or less. I mean someone had to look at Albom's story and say, "ya know, the game isn't until tomorrow."

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You have someone filing a column Friday about an event Saturday for the paper Sunday. The SE read it, two copy editors read it, and then someone from the editorial pages (where it ran) read it:

http://support.comm.psu.edu/~ethics/case6.html

There was no intent to deceive anyone in-house.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which is what made that situation so much more despicable.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I read that piece on the Knight wire -- and it was what convinced me he was an amazing writer. Are you sure on your history here?

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The difference between what Jayson Blair did and what Albom did is the difference between murder and speeding.
    Both against the law.
    Not the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted