1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting situation in Detroit - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. By the way, I wouldn't say that the NBA was Mitch's first transgression. There was a Dance With Death column on Opening Day one year in which he wrote about missing the Tiger game becuase he was a dry cleaners that was robbed and he was locked up. Turned out he actually dropped by later and heard about it and wrote it like he was part of the incident. Believe it was killed before it showed up in the Freep, but it went out on the Knight-Ridder wire and was used by some papers.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How was Albom's crime plagarism? Making up "facts" isn't stealing.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i'm with twogloves ... though i'm not defending mitch. but no, his crime was not plagiarism.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

twogloves, i think most will have much more of problem with people making up stuff in the paper than plagerism. there should be no room or tolerance for either.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They're both equally despicable to me. In fact, I'm not sure there's a real distinction between the two things.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

What, exactly, is "plagerism?" I haven't heard of it. I have, however, heard of plagiarism.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perry should have been fired the first time. And if you think he is untouchable, you're high.
    His work will have more fact checking than anyone else. And if he pulls this shit for a THIRD time, he's done like dinner.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why would he want to come back?

That's easy. To stick it up their ass. Can you imagine the grin on his face as he walks through the door?

Maybe he quits to go into something else in a month, but that first day? How could he pass that up?

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Both good papers with tough deadlines.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Let's not dismiss this possibility: Ferrell's 48, not 28. Very tempting for mgmt to whack somebody at his salary. They're sitting back and hoping that anybody over the age of 30 screws up so they can shed the salary, fall on the sword and issue a heartfelt apology fo the dear readers for the atrocious breach of journalistic etiquette that occurred under their watch.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You know, I feel responsible for this. At Central, I once low-bridged Perry during a basketball game. I felt bad about it then, and worse today because of the apparent long-term effects.

12. Are you kidding me? He's re-entering their domain and working for them, not the other way around. To stick it up their ass? That vindictive feeling is going to last 30 seconds, and Farrell would be supremely stupid to let it last any longer. They call the shots, not him.

He'll have to resume his job, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck him right back on the high school beat or gave him GA assignments. Do you really think they're going to say, "Gee, whiz, we made a big boo-boo. You're really great! Forget the Pistons. You're our writer-at-large!"

If he quits in a month (which he won't), management wins, because he will have proven their point that he couldn't cut it. By the way, I don't cover high schools for the Smallville Times; I work out of my house, and I know how to spell plagiarism.

Draft saved Draft deleted