1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting situation in Detroit - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

a stereotypical wry and sardonic comment. rapier wit, chazp.

2. This is a real kick in the head for slap's favorite author.
    Now he's a precedent. Everybody gets one really bad lapse.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, the precedent was set when Farrell did or didn't pawn off the AP NBA caps as his own. If they'd have fired Jack Saylor for plagarizing items from (I think) the Courier-Journal instead of suspending him for a week -- just months before Farrell's first incident -- they could have done it here too.

4. floridasun

floridasun Member

Where did you read this story?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/070514_prince/

6. My first thought: Why in the world would he want to go back? Anyone?

He said in the posted story that he'd found other ways to earn a living, and there was some animosity between him and some of the people he worked with -- and, I presume, would work with again. I'd imagine one of them, for now, would be Gene Myers.

In theory, he's entitled to have his job back, but that's not going to make the atmosphere any nicer when he does walk in that room. Plus, he doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation to begin with. I've read his stuff and have been really unimpressed.

7. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

perry farrell has a great case. it's definitely a double standard at the paper. this deals with which writer is more talented, mitch albom or farrell, and albom wins, no contest. but don’t be ignorant to think that ethnicity didn’t play a role into this whole fiasco.

racism exits. it sucks. there needs to be change.

as far as the quote, "If I was a white guy with this experience level, I'd be a columnist for a major paper" there might be some truth to that. but i look at some other african-american sports writers, with farrell's experience, like mike terry of the los angeles times, covering preps. i feel bad for these guys, because after covering pro and college beats, they're writing about pimple-faced kids. nothing wrong with preps, but this beat doesn't stroke a veteran’s ego.

farrell should apply for the column j.a. adande wants out from at the los angeles times if he believes he's worthy of a columnist job at a major newspaper. i don't think he is for this job. but it looks like the sports section at the los angeles times will need a much needed african-american voice after its first bolts.

it has a transgender one now. how about a latino columnist, too? an asian one, someone call tim kawakami. then randy harvey would truly boast a diverse columnist lineup. part of the issues at the los angeles times is that most of los angeles, which is predominately minority, with latinos being the majority, can't relate to the stories the paper publishes. when a paper was once above 1.1 million subscribers, and now its around 700,000, there's a disconnect with who lives in los angeles. the city is growing, above 4 million now, and the paper is going down the toilet because the paper is not reaching out to potential new readers.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There is no racism in this case. Plagarism knows no color. The fact that it was caught by the desk before it went into the print is irrelevant. He tried to pass work that wasn't his off as his.
    Period.

9. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

slappy4428,

one kept his job for making something up, the other stole another writer's work, right? both should've been canned. but the white reporter stayed, the african-american was ousted. he has a great case.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Job security?

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

sorry fellas, but my bet is perry is a better writer/reporter than most of you on this board. most of you who are on this board blasting perry are going-nowwhere-hacks covering preps for the smallsville times. perry, meanwhile, should not have been fired and that's why he has his job back. it will be interesting to see what happens to gene.

as for someone questioning why perry would want to come back...are you serious? take a look around this country and you'll see that jobs paying what he makes at the freep aren't exactly falling off trees. why wouldn't he go back? the way i see it, my man has all the leverage in the world. short of pimping into the office and slapping the fuck out of the editor he is pretty much untouchable after this fiasco. and if his job is like most of us at major metros, he will spend next to no time in the office. my hope is they have to either put him back on the pistons or given him an even better assignment.

12. dcdream

dcdream Member

You got you to be kidding me dude. So Mr. Mitch's crime was not plagerism? Come on and get from under the hole you live under. I don't care if he is a money machine for the paper....he committed the same crime as Perry and should have received a similar sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted