1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting read on Skip Bayless

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, Oct 20, 2012.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Like him or hate him, and most here probably either despise him or avoid him altogether, this is a pretty decent profile.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/print-view/the-mad-monk-of-espn-20120928

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Makes me feel sorry for him.

It is also depressing to learn that isn't just schtick, makes me dislike him even more.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where's the byline?

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Had the same question.

Without a byline, I can't decide whether to give a longform piece the proper attention.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Online version and print view version don't have it on there. It's by a guy named Paul Solotaroff. Not familiar with his work.

http://www.mensjournal.com/contributor/paul-solotaroff

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

This explains a lot, actually. The hyper-competitive persona, obsession with appearing to be right, general sense of vanity, on and on.

So what's Whitlock's excuse? Is there a couch big enough for Men's Journal to place him on?

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Solorofff also wrote this excellent story on Dave Duerson's suicide, which might have been discussed here at some point:

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/dave-duerson-the-ferocious-life-and-tragic-death-of-a-super-bowl-star-20121002

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good piece. Thanks for the link.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Did not know that about his family dynamic and that he does not speak to his famous chef brother Rick. Definitely played a role in making him the way he is, from the way he takes care of himself, his focus and his always-right attitude.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

LOL. Not even close.

Just more evidence that shit floats in the ocean.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Soloroff wrote the famous piece about bodybuilding "The Power and the Glory" that ran in Best American Sports Writing of the Century, so Norin can take that information and rub two sticks together and return with a witty comment about how that means hes not all that great, but SJ The Illuminati will demand you jerk him off anyway.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was an interesting piece...family dynamics always intrigue me.

Draft saved Draft deleted