1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting read on Bloomberg, anybody work for them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 1, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://ajr.org/Article.asp?id=5023

My back of a Post-It note math that's based on the story says the Bloomberg terminals bring in about $6 billion in revenue annually. Roughly 300,000 subscribers and each paying $20,000 annually.

Looks like they figured out a way to monetize the Interwebs.

The story is pretty fascinating. Sounds like a pressure cooker of a work environment but they pay people very well. And not very well on the newspaper scale, but very well on the corporate scale because they also throw out big bonuses.

2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i pictured brazil while reading this...

3. I would be so self-conscious of what I wrote if I knew there was a chance someone at Bloomberg was going to read it.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I had to go to a Bloomberg office once, it was like visiting the future. Also, they had a ton of snacks.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Our joint is doing something along these lines. Like Bloomberg, we offer a lot of information on a niche market where people are willing to spend premium cash for instant data.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have a couple of friends who work there. I also know a lot of former AP people work in the DC office. They all seem to enjoy the work.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought about it. I told a friend that it was like going to Tomorrowland. Did you get to go on the curved escalator?

8. I would love to see that style manual, but it's out of print and not on Amazon. Do I have to get a job there to get one? Without that manual, how will I ever get good enough to get there? Help.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Their TV network strikes me as Al Jazeera for the financial world; it's a bit off beat, grainy picture, outsiders' mentality, but it has interesting topics and stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted