1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting plagiarism case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, May 3, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

they didn't do anything about the plagiarism or they didn't do anything about him winding up dead? they could've at least told someone so the body could be removed. nothing ruins the office atmosphere more than a dead body here and there. it's just plain annoying.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://blog.myspace.com/bluva2342">
    In a Google search, I turned up Bryan L. Fuell's myspace page.</a>

3. Leave the guy alone.

4. He fucked up. He lost his job. Probably lost some friends. He doesn't need a bunch of anonymous fucks harassing him.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I knew a reporter once (won't say if it's he/she) who skirted the edges of those things regularly.

I heard a story once about a college the reporter in question covered, about a writer for the school paper who was all excited that a story she wrote somehow made it into that town's daily - only to realize (because most people don't read bylines) that the byline was this reporter's.

The same writer has also been known to send his/her kids to chase quotes from athletes/coaches to save work. Not to mention hang out in the beer tent, thus completely missing a full-scale brawl on the football field.

I never witnessed those things personally at the time, so it could all be scandalous rumor. But I suspect nothing would have happened anyway, had I brought it to the higher-ups attention, except that I would probably have been branded a shit-disturbing "woman", trying to stir up trouble. Groan.

I have no doubt it happens more often than you think. But the example in this thread is really, really stunning. Beyond stealing the story, attibuting quotes kids never said just ain't gonna pass muster - even if they said nice things.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

When I worked at a small newspaper, we didn't have enough staff and time to catch every error. There were times I'd be sick for a day or two about those little things that few people notice. Then I would laugh when the Big City News, a well-respected publication in the industry and on this board, would print the same typo in a kid's name or the same twisted fact a day or two later.

7. ondeadline

Obviously you are inferring that I was saying that the kid should be harassed. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just thought people might be interested to see it. Maybe I'm clueless about about myspace pages since that is possibly the second or third myspace page I've ever seen?

8. You outed him in the first thread and now you're posting his myspace page. Maybe your intentions were innocent but there's a few people on this site who aren't so nice.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At the risk of making this thread disappear too, didn't he out himself when he posted the job thread? Or is there something else?

10. I don't know all the history but if he really did out himself, why was the first thread deleted when OD did it?

It's really here nor there ... I don't think OD meant to do it ...

11. ondeadline

I deleted the first thread after it was pointed out that it was considered to be outing him.

Had I suggested the guy be harassed when I linked his page, that would be different. I didn't. I thought it was interesting that I found his page.

12. ondeadline

I read yours after I had posted mine and altered mine thereafter. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted