1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting plagiarism case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, May 3, 2007.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

"Fuell worked at a paper in Baltimore before coming to the Gazette last year, O'Donovan said. He was unsure which Baltimore paper employed Fuell."

I found that interesting. How could they not know where he previously worked?

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

See, I don't get the line of thinking that the school distict has no right to dictate punishment. Newspapers push people and organizations around all the time. Should be a two-way street.

3. a prominent, highly regarded national beat writer at a major metro stole stuff from me and I caught her

her paper didn't even give her a slap on the wrist

was called a misunderstanding and swept under the rug

people make me sick

4. KG

KG Active Member

People make me sick too write then drink. Tonight I think I'll drink then write. The outcome could be quite interesting. ;D

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

How do you guys feel about someone stealing word-for-word from a press release for a story? Where does that fall?

I can see using certain phrasing for a story -- as long as you just put a BY PODUNK PRESS STAFF on it. But what about copying a press release and using a personal by-line?

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I agree. I caught out one of our news reporters doing it. Nothing was done.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Seriously, how hard is it to come up with your own damn material. For me, plagiarism seems tougher than doing it yourself.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I am not kidding about this. The guy who stole my stuff wound up dead a few years later. But I didn't kill him, honest. His paper didn't do anything about it when it was brought to their attention.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He probably copied someone else's resume.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I worked for a little ASE like that. I remember one story when we got into a vicious argument about a story I was writing. Basically, what he wanted me to write could only be passed off as an opinion piece, not a news story, because of a great unsaid of racism.
    I told the ASE if he wanted me to write it, remove my byline. It went to the ME, who -- after hearing both sides -- backed me. The ASE said "That's what I was trying to say, we need to write it just like that"
    He looked at me like I was from Mars when I laughed at his tweety little statement in front of the ME...

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That just means the guy being quoted -- the publisher, I believe -- didn't know. I'm sure his supervisor knows. I can tell you our publisher has absolutely no idea where the hell I worked before this. I'd be stunned if he knew who the hell I was.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not at all. If you're going to break out the nuclear weapons, might as well make sure they're accurately targeted.

Draft saved Draft deleted