1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting piece by Schlabach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Always thought he was one of the WWL's best writers, especially for college football (No, I'm not him). I thought this was a good piece about the Chick-Fil-A Bowl's selection process in such an insane season, starting at the beginning of November. While it is no mystery bowls are looking to sell tickets more than put together the best match up, I thought the ups and downs of a non-BCS bowl selection was a good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3142612

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Waste of space. Does anyone give a rat's ass about the Peach Bowl?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can you have a "waste of space" on the Internet?

If you had extra tickets to this game in most years, you'd be enriched nicely by people who do give a rat's ass. The ACC vs. SEC thing played in Atlanta is a slam dunk.

Best detail in the story is that a member of the Chick-Fil-A board is named Fruit.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell, I found it interesting. I do wonder why bowl "scouts" need to free-load at various college games during the season. It's not hard to find out what teams travel well, which don't, and with a bowl like the Peach, you end up with leftovers anyway.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My dream is to join a Bowl Committee. Preferably the Orange Bow, so I can wear one of those snazzy blazers. But any bowl would do. I'm not afraid to work myself up from the GMAC Bowl to something played after Christmas.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

There's no story here for a big bowl, like a BCS bowl. The teams generally fall into place with those. But bowls like the Chick-Fil-A/Peach have to scrap for teams that will both travel well and be worth watching. The bowls that actually do matter don't have to work nearly as hard as a second- or third-tier bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted