1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Patrick Hruby piece on P2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 19, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm not exactly sure of what to make of this column from ESPN P2's Patrick Hruby that tries to break down the upcoming Colts-Pats game, a game that has been so thoroughly rehashed that it's become harder and harder to come up with fresh angles. On one hand, I think it's pretty clever and definitely took him (or his interns) a lot of time to do the proper research, but it also seems that it makes us sports writers lazy (inconceivable!). Well, what do all of you think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/070119

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think it is a terrific column. I don't think it means sports writers are lazy, but having to write for a week about one game can be crazy and how much can you say.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

At some point, Hruby must've said, "Boy, this is fun"....right then he shoulda quit...and trashed it...and made some phone calls for a real column that someone, maybe even two someones, would've read....

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

That was fantastic. Tough to read, especially once the sidebar and the main story weren't even. But really quite good.

Page 2 must have gotten a new editor or at least a new set of guidelines...All their Page 2 columnists seem to be more willing to take shots at each other and on-air talent than they did a year ago.

I'm ashamed to admit I consume that much Page 2 content, but it's true.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

good stuff.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i think the word is "meta"

sportswriting about sportswriting.

interesting to us, but not to fans. unless they're interested in sportswriters.

are they?

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Yeah, interesting. Smartly thought out and researched. Plus: Nice homage to Mike Royko who did the same sorta deal two or three decades ago.

YHS, etc

8. A reasonably witty column, but I daresay you could do a mix 'n' match generic Page 2 template with far fewer entries than Hruby needed to put this together.

Draft saved Draft deleted