1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Joe Posnanski Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 21, 2011.

?

From Joe Posnanski's blog "Question for you: What has a better chance of happening?"

1. Tiger Woods breaks Jack Nicklaus’ major record.

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Alex Rodriguez breaks Barry Bonds’ home run record.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Both

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Neither

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Mini Ditka

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Saw this question buried in Joe's blog and I was curious what the reaction would be here.

(Of course Joe neglected Mini Ditka but nobody is perfect.)

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Went with Neither. Bet ARod falls at least 50 shy of Bonds.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I eliminated both or neither because choosing between the two is the more interesting question to me.

It's Rodriguez, because you can hit home runs 162 days in a season but can only win a major on four days. Oversimplification? Of course it is.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd say A-Rod.

I think Tiger is done for the time being. Of course he could prove me very wrong in a few months.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A-Rod is toast. Woods just needs 16 good days. Neither is likely.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Statistically speaking, I'd go with A-Rod since he's trying to break a record that's been broken twice before since 1974, while Nicklaus' has held for, what, since 1980-something?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've never read Joe P's blog before that I can remember, but a friend told me to check out his post about snow days, so I did. Had to wade through endless drivel about putt putt golf before it hit on actual snow days.

Anyway...Tiger.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

When I saw A-Rod, I thought it meant the single-season HR record of 73, not the career mark of 762 (that's it, right?).

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Tiger.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I went for both. I think Tiger is going to have a big, big year this year.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A-Rod is 149 homers behind Bonds, and has hit either 30 or 35 home runs in four of the last five years. So figure it would take him nearly five years at that level of production to reach 763. He'll be 35 this season.

If he does it, it won't be by much. (I don't think he'll blow past 800 like a lot of folks were predicting a few years back).

Then again, he has seven years left on his contract, so maybe he'll hang around long enough to put some distance between himself and Bonds.

Draft saved Draft deleted