1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Heisman Article

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Bias, Nov 23, 2006.

1. "Smith was reinstated by the NCAA the following season, but then Ohio State coach Jim Tressel really dropped the hammer when he suspended Smith for the first game-and-a-half of the 2005 season. That had to hurt. OK, not so much."

There are many who will argue that Smith's suspension (and the resulting lack of playing and practice time) was the the key factor allowing Texas to beat Ohio State the 2nd week of the season. I would suggest some guy named Vince Young had something to do with the outcome of that game, but certainly that suspension "hurt" both Smith and the team.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hoover's a decent guy, but this Heisman Award as a holy honor idea is utterly stupid.
    And I wonder, did this make the print edition? It looks like a web-only blog item. I ask because it doesn't look like the kind of thing which would pass the editing sniff test.
    Anyway, dumb premise, dumb execution, and seens to me like it was done to get the message board morons all up in arms. Like any of them need an excuse.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hyp.O.Crite. He'll put the guy on the All-American ballot in spite of the cheating, but not on the Heisman ballot because of it? Please. If you're going to refrain from voting for T-Roy and use that as your reason, fine. But be consistent.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm an integrity guy... I think it counts. And I can't stand a cheater. But this is a ridiculous standard. That bus rolled out of the depot about 75 years ago. Find me a college football player who is getting any amount of playing time who hasn't collected a few trinkets along the way. I'm sure there are some players who are sticklers about the eligibility requirements, but the NCAA system is so rife with cheating that making Troy Smith your poster boy is like fighting a five-star fire with a water pistol.

Draft saved Draft deleted