1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting "faith" read

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

We often rip anything that comes from the religious: but this has some pretty constructive points of discussion. Without further comment:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/june/17.22.html

2. ScribePharisee

And then, silence.

Is there irony that a logical piece like this is met with such, whereas if some kook calls Obama the Antichrist would get tore into like a line of SUVs into a $1.50 a gallon giveaway?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You also might try remembering that this article is a bit lengthy. Some of us are still reading.

4. ScribePharisee

It's a bargain...

www.ewrd.com

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So is having a job. Snarkiness not necessary in this case, especially if you hope to have your point taken seriously.

6. ScribePharisee

Were you having coffee when The Maker handed out your portion of a sense of humor? Damn.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I found this particular passage rather interesting...

"The presidency to this day rests more on the character of the person who inhabits the office than on anything else. The founding fathers designed it that way. It was their idea to find a man in America with a great character and let him invest a tradition and shape a national character." They found that man in George Washington, a President who refused to be king and who had the virtue to walk away from power when people were begging him to hold on to it.

The greatest fear we have regarding leaders is that they will misuse the power we grant them. The corrupting potential of power is well documented. But power need not corrupt and in a virtuous person it will not. Psychologist Erich Fromm distinguishes between power used for domination and selfish ends, and what he calls "potency" or "generative power." Such power is strength for others (a definition of virtue), and it motivates creativity and service. All the proper policies and ideology and technical competency in the world will not protect a leader from using power corruptly. In fact, the greatest temptation for a well-meaning leader is to use power corruptly in order to accomplish seemingly benevolent ends. The best insurance against corrupt power is to choose leaders with the combination of virtues necessary to use power well.

In previous years, I would have thought McCain might be one who wouldn't be corrupted by power. Now I'm not at all convinced. Comparing McCain's virtue and Obama's, I know which way I'm leaning at this point.

Sorry...saw nothing funny in it. I'd have laughed if it had been worthy. It wasn't.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We make the same mistake as one recent grumpy CNN commentator: "What we need from these candidates are details of how they are going to solve our problems. How are they going to stop the slide of the dollar? How are they going to get the troops home from Iraq? How are they going to fix Social Security? That's what we need to know." Grumpy and wrong. There's value in hearing a candidate's plans and proposals, but it's of secondary or even lesser importance.

I disagree.

I also didn't bother to click on anything past page 1 of 8.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Agree on this one, poin. Certainly character is important, but a candidate's ideas are what's really important. The article seems to complain that no candidates ideas will ever go into effect as they truly envisioned them, which is correct. But that doesn't mean good can't come from those ideas.

10. ScribePharisee

You do need some humor, Mr. Allen.

And anyone who thinks "ideas" have little chance of succeeding just needs to look at Congress right now concerning the debate over gas prices.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And then, idiocy.

An eight-page article posted that you expect cogent responses to within an hour? Go take your agenda somewhere else.

12. ScribePharisee

Oh I'm sorry it was an attack on the president, or a religious kook taking a shot at Obama. We'd lathered up 20 posts before the coffee got hot. Where's DemoChristian? He's one of the more logical, less hateful posters. This would be his thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted