1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting day care study

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Strap em in front of the TV for 8 hours while Mommy's running around or working.. that will learn em...

3. T2

T2 Member

"However, the researchers cautioned that the increase in vocabulary and problem behaviors was small, and that parenting quality was a much more important predictor of child development than was type, quantity, or quality, of child care."

In other words: interesting, but not really important.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My thoughts, too.

The results of the study seem to indicate kids with good, involved parents are better off than those with less-involved, absentee parents. Thanks for that bit of research!

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"there’s been a move to make child-care programs more academic. "
    What's the difference between an academic day care center and a pre-school?
    How did the preschool kids with absentee parents fare vs. daycare kids with absentee parents?

6. girl friday

girl friday Member

Who spends the money to support these studies?

Parental influence is, and always will be, the determining factor/greatest influence for a child. Are there things that little girl friday has picked up at day care that I'm not crazy about? Of course. But when we see them, we nip them in the bud and explain why we don't like the behavior.

I'd be willing to bet the study was dreamed up by some stay-at-home parenting advocate who wanted to provide yet another reason for working mothers to feel guilty. As if we don't have enough of that already.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

BINGO! Well said, GF.

As the (fairly) well-adjusted product of a single father who had me in day care, as the father of two who went to a great day care center run by a woman who is one of my family's friends, and as someone who works two jobs married to a woman working 2 1/2, I say this...

Perhaps we should spend more time conducting studies on the societal forces that mandate two parents work and less on tricked-up studies like this.

A quick, easy way to push my asshole button. And don't get Mrs. Birdscribe started on this.

There isn't enough bandwith.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As the father of a 3-year-old in day care, I agree.

I have had more than one pediatrician tell me that children who are completely raised at home are also behind those that are in day care socially and in the development of their immune systems.

There are advantages to both options. If one of those stay-at-home advocates wants to replace my wife's salary for us, fine. Otherwise, shut the hell up.

Oh, and by the way I say replace my wife's salary because she makes more and there is no way she'd go for me being the parent to stay home.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My 3 year old hellion cousin has been in daycare since she was about 4 months old. It's the only place where she's well-behaved because she knows what's expected of her and there are boundries. I can only imagine how much worse she'd be if she spent 24/7 with her non-disciplining, "do whatver you want" parents.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've got a 19-month-old girl, and as a full-time freelance writer I've had the great, great joy of being home with her the entire time (with occasional babysitting help, or else I'd be a profoundly lousy full-time freelance writer). But she has definitely reached a point where she needs to be around other kids and start developing some social skills. So she's starting day care next week.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But the info looks like it's on the up and up. I don't begrudge any single parent what they need to do to survive -- I was raised by my mom; the last I had anything to do with my dad was when half of me left his weiner some 33 years ago. But if there's legitimate info that says that day care has its' problems, why is that somehow offensive? Not everything's a conspiracy to send the world hurtling towards the Stone Age or Armageddon, depending on your philosophical bent.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The study says there's a small correlation between day care and inappropriate behavior and a bigger correlation between behavior and parenting. I took that to mean that good parenting could balance out any negative stuff picked up in day care.

Draft saved Draft deleted