1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting column by Jemele

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, May 7, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You didn't go back far enough for his riches... and Rose was the one who spurned Jimmy Walker.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He had enough to buy the plane ticket 15 years ago (not 12). Since then, he's had enough to buy the plane.

And it's annoying to see Rose continually go on interviews, TV shows, and in effect play the "abandoned son" card.

In the beginning, of course, it was true. But once Rose became a man of means, it was within his power to do something about it.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I enjoyed the piece. Sounds like Bell is the much bigger man, especially in how he's formed a relationship with his half brother and sister, whom Big Daddy Malone chooses to acknowledge.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because she's ordinary at best, disingenuous at worst, and keeps rising in the world for reasons that pass understanding.
    However, in this case, it was a good column.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Isn't that the point, though. Rose didn't need a father after he became wealthy adult, he needed one when he was an impoverished child. A father who only wants his son after he's no longer needed remains one who abandoned his child.

6. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I'm normally no Jemele fan; a lot of times I'm far from one.

But kudos to her for this piece, I thought she did an excellent job.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This line had me laughing:

That was good shot between the eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted