1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting choice of a family picture for a murder story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Jan 30, 2012.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

A woman from a rich suburb in Detroit is found strangled in her Mercedes-Benz in a rough neighborhood in Detroit (yeah, most are outside of downtown - no kidding). Police are calling her husband a "person of interest," and he reportedly failed a polygraph test.

The family has provided photos of the "happy" couple to the media. The Detroit Free Press uses an interesting one of them at a golf outing. Here's the link: http://www.freep.com/article/20120130/NEWS05/201300361/Both-sides-of-family-insist-No-way-Bob-Bashara-killed-his-wife?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Someone at the Freep picked it on purpose or is asleep at the wheel. I'll take the former. I've also seen pictures of the couple at a bowling center and a party in Hawaiian shirts.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Subtle.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

practice makes perfect?

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Very bad choice. Paper loses the appearance of being impartial

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

But if they ran a picture where it looks like he's NOT about to strangle her, does that mean they're on the side of the defense? ;D

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Actually, it looks like he's pretending to use his putter as a guitar.

Still, the Freep should have simply used a standard portrait shot -- if they had one.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

He was using it as a guitar from what I see.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its a guitar impersonation.

Draft saved Draft deleted