1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting career change by friend/colleague Jeff White

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Was that ever the case?

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Congrats to Jeff and also to the university.

Love proactive thinking... something that, sadly, is pretty much a thing of the past in our industry.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, very much so.

4. WS

WS Member

I suspect some of the media relations departments, especially ones at mid-major schools like I do, just copy what their beat writers do with their blogs, etc., and other ideas and do the same things themselves.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good for JW. Possibly a better job, probably with better benefits, in a university town that's regular rated as a top-10 place to live, and he should be able to have a non-adversarial relationship with the people he "covers," which isn't always the case in a beat capacity.

Microville Tech, are you listening/watching/ready to emulate?

6. agateguy

agateguy Member

Many good points here, and I would like to add another one: this gives the university a level of control it doesn't with an independent publication.

If you're having issues with one of your athletic teams (such as players breaking the law), the university can control its writer, and what he/she presents to the public.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Big 12 was mentioned earlier: The former Texas beat writer in San Antonio is now a writer for the university's Web site.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

More from the Big 12.

B.G. Brooks, longtime University of Colorado beat writer for the now-defunct Rocky Mountain News, is going to be doing the same thing for CU's Web site.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Is B.G. to Colorado at done deal? I'd heard that rumor recently, but is it a lock-solid fact now?

10. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

What do you mean by that?

11. WS

WS Member

Putting good coverage ideas out there, then seeing the department decide to do the same thing and pimp it up like they invented it. I guess everyone blogs and twitters now, but for a scrimmage, I posted live blog software for readers to see (again, we're not talking BCS school here with 15,000 at a scrimmage), and when I get there, voila, they've used the exact same software.

I could go on.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

departments sure as shit are copying media entities out there in coverage. I know of an instance where a media member approached said university with a story and video idea, they told him no to it (access and what not was an issue), and 3 weeks later, the university did that exact report with video on its AD Web site!!

Draft saved Draft deleted