1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting blog post in Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think he's a good reporter, though I'd agree he's not a good writer. And, yes, he does seem to give himself a bit too much credit.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This was totally irresponsible all the way around.

First, the player has no business hitting on an attractive member of the opposite sex who is simply there to do her job. If you are a married man, you have no business hooking up with strangers while you are on an out-of-town business trip.

Second, the intern/reporter has no business getting involved with a professional athlete from some traveling team who is obviously looking for a one-night fling. Nothing good will come from this. Instead of accepting his phone number, she should have walked away and/or reported the incident to the PR person for that team.

And posting this stuff on Facebook is just the height of stupidity. It's along the lines of saying "Here's my latest scalp".

Thirdly, Ortiz has no business sticking his nose into any of this or publishing it, either on the web or in print. This helps no one.

Fourthly, the Chronicle has no business posting pictures of this person. Rightly or wrongly, her reputation is damaged and she'll be the butt of bar-room and press box jokes as long as she's in the area. What she did was stupid, but the punishment is a little on the high side, too.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you post something ---- like this --- on the internet, you damn well better expect the whole world to read it. Otherwise, why post it in the first place?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The defense lawyer in me -- and I'm not a lawyer of any stripe -- says she didn't actually admit to recording the phone number for the purposes of bragging.

While I'm at it, I haven't seen where the Chronicle published photos of anybody involved in this story. Am I missing something?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If an intern can't act responsibly, they don't need to be there. Let them go cover high school soccer, or whatever.

When a team issues a working media credential, it is for that purpose and needs to be respected. If it's abused, the organization has every right to pull it. Too often, we in the media feel it's our God-given right to attend these events, sit in the press box and go to the clubhouses. Passes are issued at the discretion of the club and/or league and can be revoked accordingly.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So the purpose would be.........?

7. tapintoamerica

True enough. But if the Nationals are really considering revoking all credentials of all interns, they're in the wrong. Group punishment for individual crime isn't a great idea.

8. tapintoamerica

It might be an observation. It might be a cover-your-backside type of thing. (If, for example, the player later brags to his friends that he had a fling with her, having the number in the phone could prove quickly that there was no communication between them.) Again, I'm just speculating here.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Who was the gal posted in photo on the previous page? Was that someone else?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy crap, this post is awesome.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of a blanket action against all interns. If it were a radio reporter that took the number, would all radio reporters be banned? I think the appropriate response is to take action against the people involved and let that lesson serve its purpose to the rest in position to make similarly poor decisions.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You really thought that was her? Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted