1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting blog post in Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Was he implying the intern was going to kill the ballplayer someday? What is the Steve McNair connection here?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Chronicle now has a picture of the girl:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Glad somebody else noticed the incredible leap between a married ballplayer asking for an intern's number and ... asking for a brutal death. Blogger is surprised that McNair's death has not instantly eliminated all infidelity by married athletes.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's not jealousy you smell; it's indignation that this incident probably made the writer's job more difficult. Can't say I blame him.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I see nothing wrong with cheating on your wife or using a press credential to get laid, but for somebody to write about it on the interwebs? Disgusting.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Jeff Pearlman has some thoughts on this here: http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=2443

Doesn't say how he knows these things, but says it was a Nats player and that the Nats might take this one step further and ban all interns from the clubhouse. Big loss for journalism if that's the case. But I don't know how they could really keep credentialed interns, who work as bona fide reporters for their organizations out of the clubhouse. Thoughts on that?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A good chunk of the beat writers of mlb.com are unpaid interns. I think the Nationals might have a problem if they try to institute said policy. They should be more concerned about being on pace to finish with the NL's worst record since the 1962 Mets.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I just don't see how they could keep out interns without keeping out all credentialed media.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This doesn't warrant a blog post at all, simply because what Ortiz is saying -- "look at what happened to McNair, be careful!" -- is so far fetched. I understand what he was trying to convey, but he missed badly.

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Who?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was wrong earlier. I misread Ortiz's blog post, and thought his BWAA reference meant that the intern was from a newspaper outlet. His mention of the college kid having graduated from the university located near the visiting team also threw me off.

12. Notepad

Notepad Member

For what it is worth, Jesus isn't a very good writer and has always come across thinking he is far better than he truly is.
    Just my two cents.

Obviously, he doesn't have much news judgment, either. Show me, in terms of being a major metro beat guy, where exactly the story is here?

Draft saved Draft deleted