1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting blog post in Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Uh, what's his point?

Of the 2,543 male professional athletes who are hooking up with women who aren't their wives, Steve McNair was the only one who wound up dying because of that. And if I've read the McNair stuff correctly, his was more relationship than casual hook-up, and he may have gotten killed because he was suspected of two-timing (three-timing?) his friend who wasn't his wife.

As far as the credentialed person meeting someone and accepting an invitation to socialize, so what? A lot of people meet via their workplace. Dave Tobik married a woman who worked for the Evansville paper when he played there. Matt Morris' wife was a former mlb.com reporter. Birds and bees are tricky creatures. Does it make a difference if the player waits until the intern is outside the stadium to express an interest?

The huge mistake here is bragging about this on Facebook, which reveals the young woman to be an idiot. But that's something for the people who requested her credential to handle.

This blog smacks of a very cheap, "Hey, guess what I know!" Trying to tie this to McNair's death is a pathetic stretch.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that the intern did not use the best judgment.

The next question is if this really deserved a blog post.

First, one could argue that it is irresponsible, because by not "naming names," the author in effect casts under suspicion the entire rosters of two major league teams, not to mention every intern working for a sports outlet in the greater Houston area.

Second, if I wrote a blog post every time something like this happened, I'd be the Perez Hilton of sports media.

Third, the entire premise of the post shows an utter disconnect from reality. Ballplayers - not to mention plenty of other red-blooded men and women - have been cheating on their wives for the better part of a century without any of their mistresses comitting murder-suicide.

As a sidenote. . .

To understand how warped a pro athletes' perspective can be, note how the player in question GAVE the intern HIS number.

Fellas, how many times in your life have you successfully picked up a girl by approaching her and saying, "Hey baby, I think you're kind of swell. Here's my number. Give me a call sometime."

And to understand why their perspectives can be so warped, note how the girl in question actually bragged about him giving her his number.

If I'm Ortiz, my next blog post is titled: "Honey, getting 'asked out' involves a guy getting your number and giving you a call, not you getting his number so you can text him later on when he is horny at the club. That's called a booty call."

Actually, that title might not fit in the subject field.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The only thing we know from this blog post about her behavior is that she did a FB update about the advance. It's not clear if she actually went out with the player. This is part of the problem with blogs. Jose throws out all kinds of innuendo about what happened, leaving readers to make assumptions about it. It would be unfair to revoke her credential based on what he wrote in that blog.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the proof he is "stalking" her is what, exactly?

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

facebook stalking....not actually stalking...there is a difference

Let's say the blogger is friends with her on FB. Then its safe to assume that other media types in Houston are too, and they can see the same post he can. So even though he's not naming names to the curious gawkers around the USA, everybody in Houston knows exactly who it is. Also says something that he's the only one of them who saw it as noteworthy enough to put it in the public eye.

And if he's not friends with her on FB, and just reading her profile from afar, then every media type - or fan - in the Houston area with a basic idea of local media personalities and google of TV/radio credits can figure out who she is, find her on FB, and figure out who the player is.

6. Facebook-stalking, v: To observe postings on someone's Facebook page.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's a valid topic. If a male reporter who covered local government posted gleefully on Facebook that he'd gotten the home phone number of a city councilwoman, it would be a cause for concern.

That being said, I'd have been more comfortable if a woman journalist had done this blog post. Sure, she'd probably be accused of being catty but it would lead in more naturally to how tough it was to be taken seriously when things like this went on.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If he's not on her "friends" list he didn't read the actual post unless she has her profile set in a way that allows anyone to read it.

9. And if he is on her "friends" list, he won't be for much longer.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I have no inside knowledge here. But it is obviously an intern at one of the Houston TV stations.

I've seen these chippies in my own hometown.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I can't say I care enough to do the legwork, but I have to think the mystery name's known on the beat this "young lady" is on. Can't imagine there's that many young female credentialed interns with 700-ish Facebook friends who have recently been in Houston. Again, I don't care, but the guy's not doing that big a favor by not naming her once he's put the story out there.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Put me with the people who are stunned this became a blog entry in a sports section.

Draft saved Draft deleted