1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting blog post in Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think there might be a small chance the blog writer might have had some interest in going out with the intern. I smell a hint of jealousy.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Could have been a TV or radio person, or from one of the suburban dailies or weeklies (Galveston, Pasadena, Fort Bend are three off the top of my head) in the area.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

MLB.com uses quite a few interns. Also, MLB.com staffers skip a road trip every now and then, and the home team's MLB.com intern often covers the visiting team for that team's site.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm curious why this showed up on the S & N board rather than journo topix. Frankly, I think it's more important what happened than who was involved. Clearly, I'm in the minority.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's an intern from one of the local tv stations or Fox Southwest, which airs the Astros games.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'd have to agree. It's really difficult to gauge the tone or context of words on a screen .. so we don't really know what the intern's state of mind was/is. But agreeing with the Chronicle writer .. yes, it's a pretty stupid thing to do (posting the info on Facebook).

7. That was my first guess too. If it's an intern at an Astros game and she's not from the Chronicle, there's a high chance she's with a Houston station.

8. badmoon

badmoon Member

Oh, my. There are so many things to say here. A blog post? I'm not sure. You go to the PR director of the club, you say "here's what happened" and here's the Facebook, and if you don't rescind this person's credential, which is making a mockery of all of ours, I am going to write a story for print with all names included. Maybe I'm old school.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

So the blogger was facebook stalking this girl....and then he hops on the moral high ground sanctity of the game and the press pass horse? I smell jealousy, too.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The blog post and the Facebook update aren't the issue.

The fact that a credentialed member of the media, regardless of intern or 25-year veteran, accepted a player's offer to spend time out together later that night in what was presumably unlikely to be a professional setting is the issue.

11. badmoon

badmoon Member

Precisely. It is about the credential and how one behaves when having a credential. You remove the problem crendential-holder and we go forward.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted