1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting article on Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 4, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

To me, it's almost as if EA surmised -- and I'd suggest correctly -- that no matter what she does, she will not escape the style over substance tag, and that lots of people within and without the journalism industry would be jealous of her. So she decided to do whatever the hell she wants. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, and I'd submit that in behaving this way she's doing a disservice to other females in the industry, but that's what it looks like.

I've long despised the franchise of the sideline reporter, but this is disappointing because she had made strides in her work to the point that she was tolerable. Credibility will likely forever be an issue with her, though.

OH, and shouldn't this thread be on the journalism topics board?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, I didn't go nuts on you. I made the point that she shouldn't have to de-feminize herself. If I remember correctly, and I wasn't really watching the shows that closely, those women largely wore business suits. That's simply not feasible. Men wear khakis and pullovers, so can women.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It makes sense ... but I disagree.

Yes, Andrews has her moments (as evidenced by the first post of this thread), but if you don't think she works very, very hard to be a good and professional reporter (and, for the most part, she is), then you're the one being distracted by the fact that she's also a beautiful woman.

It's your problem, not hers.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I corrected what I typed. I forgot that little "not."

But Andrews is not the first sideline reporter.

5. imjustagirl

Right. But you were referring to the women on the desk.

6. 93Devil

I agree, anyone who reaches the top 1% of their profession is intelligent. No matter who they are or what you think of them.

Here is a question...

OK, if Andrews starts working for NBC, does she dress the same?

Maybe this is an ESPN thing?

7. 93Devil

Yes, but they did the odd sit down interview. Comparing them to Andrews might be an apples/oranges thing.

8. imjustagirl

It is. That's my point. You can't expect someone on their feet, going from one place to another, working in the press box and on the field, to wear a business suit. And if you do, then there are about 99.9 percent of the men covering any game who are also severely underdressed.

9. 93Devil

But Andrews is not the first sideline reporter who is a woman. Not by 5-6 years. Why has this become an issue now?

Didn't Lesley Visser walk a sideline for a spell?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It did not just become an issue now. It's an issue again now because too many men are thinking with their dicks about this particular woman.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Lance Armstrong's people are the most protective I've ever dealt with (which I would understand, if I was French).

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Especially the guy reporters. They like that/

Draft saved Draft deleted