1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting article on Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of my students sent me this. We have a discussion a couple of weeks ago about TV turning some media into celebrities and the class launched into a sidebar about whether it was Erin's looks or ability (or both) that elevated her.
    The student who sent this knows the media, his dad was one of my colleagues at the paper.

We will discuss it again this week, along with the Tiger article by Pierce. While we're at it, give me some examples of people/teams who have completely closed down like Tiger.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/erin-andrews-seems-to-be-a-reporter-with-a-rooting-interest/

2. One would have to know whether that was a paid commercial Andrews did before coming to any conclusion.

Maybe Erin is just trying to get into the heart of Dickie V - the most famous Rays fan extant.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good point. Still. She does cover baseball.
    Dickie V. does not, as far as I know.
    Hell, I'm still trying to absorb the fact that I'm watching the Rays in the PLAYOFFS. PLAYOFFS!

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Haven't there been TV personalities who sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Wrigley?

I kinda see it along those lines. Probably more appropriate for a local media celeb.

Did she step out of bounds? Replays are inconclusive.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, she crossed the line -- paid or free.
    Would be like Dickie V doing a promo for Duke basketball (I know, he does with every broadcast).
    He covers Duke games and for an opponent to see a rooting interest on the scoreboard before a game goes against the grain. She covers Rays games, and for an opponent to see a rooting interest goes against the grain.
    But she'll get off scot-free because A) she's a celebrity now and B) to ESPN, she's bulletproof.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

End well, this will not.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Just another example of the erosion of journalistic standards. I know Andrews isn't supposed to be Woodward or Bernstein, but is it too much to at least expect her to be objective about the games she covers? She ought to know better than this.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, I'm all about some good EA bashing. But she also does provide fodder with things like this, the Cubs clubhouse... Not giving it where there isn't a specific incident attached.

9. Scouter

Scouter Member

Wilbon sang at Wrigley a few months back. A little different, but a comparison nonetheless.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

TV types have long been thought of as Cele's. In print, columnists are considered Cele's. When it gets to that point, they have crossed the journalism river of unbiased reporting and entered into the land of entertainment.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That is way, way over the line. Just like her doing the "Gator Chomp" with Tim Tebow during ESPN's Titletown-related visit to Gainesville this summer.
    Do she and ESPN not even care about the concept of objectivity?
    What a joke.
    Most of us sports journos have rooting interests - it's natural, we're fans. But we keep them locked up to pursue on our free time and not let them cross into our jobs.
    As for Wilbon, he did sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame at Wrigley, but he doesn't cover Cubs games regularly, as far as I can tell, and he isn't employed by ESPN as a journalist (and yes, I know EA stretches those definitions, but that's what she technically is).
    At least show a little restraint. Terrible.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What the hell is a Cele's?

Draft saved Draft deleted