1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interactive journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Apr 13, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

The Boston Globe put together this awesome piece of a mile-by-mile, minute-to-minute run of the Boston Marathon.

http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/course/runnersview_interactive/

I know I'm a newb on this board and in the professional career of this business, but I would give my left arm to work for a paper that puts the resources into something like this.

The only problem with giving my arm is that I would only be able to type one-handed.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That would come in handy around these parts.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There are several newspapers out there putting a lot of resources into interactive journalism. If you have any questions about it, pm me. I work in interactive journalism.

4. taz

taz Member

It's a nice piece, but when you break it down, it's basically a timeline with an audio track behind it. If you were to show this to a savvy multimedia producer, they'll tell you it's not that difficult to produce.

That being said, it sure is a lot more effective than it would be in print.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Well, I thought it was produced pretty well.

6. taz

taz Member

It's a nice piece, don't get me wrong. But folks like yourself might be surprised at how doable something like this is would be.

Just trying to provide encouragement for those who think this type of treatment is out of their paper's reach.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I like interactive journalism as well. It's something that seems pretty fun and interesting.

8. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

The wave of the future.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It sure seems like it. And I like it, I think it's great.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's not hard to do. Whoever said that is right. However, to do it well and make it compelling enough for people to care is very difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted