1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insult or lifeline?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carter Gaddis, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sure, he could work for an airline, or work for GM or for a radio station. Lots of businesses are thriving in this economy.

BTW, I don't think a lot of telemarketing jobs are paying all that well.

2. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Yeesh, it was just to gauge your interest? And it was sent to at least two people? I missed that part on first read. Oh, that's a whole different ballgame. I mean, you do have to pay bills at some point, but good god, ya'll...
    I'm with the Predictor: Unless you have a position, forget it. There has to be something -- anything -- that'll pay that bad and not be as insulting. At least: I hope there is.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fair enough. Still, one of the conditions of unemployment benefits is usually that you be actively seeking work. I'd imagine, though, that you could find a way not to get hired and at least be able to use it as evidence that you are doing that.

Not sure what I'd do in this situation, tbh. I don't have kids or a mortgage, either. Shitty deal all around.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Let me amend my comment above. If this were a live person from that joint calling out of some tiny measure of concern, or empathy that you got screwed, and was encouraging you to come "back" for all the right, family- and personal- reasons, that's one thing.

That it's a letter merely to gauge interest after you logged 16 years there ... to hell with that. I'd look long and hard for something else -- it is a big, if economically challenged, world -- before I'd respond to that imperious, impersonal crap. Life is too short and you have to draw a few hard lines.

But I am something of a bullhead. :mad: No one would or should blame you if you do it for the aforementioned right reasons.

5. Based on the meager response I've gotten to the dozen or so resume packages I've sent out already, I'm having no trouble finding a way not to get hired!

6. Thank you, 'ramblings07.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, yes and yes. And keep looking while you draw a paycheck

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd surely hate to be in your position, as being let go and now with this situation, and I hope it turns out well for you.

Your heart usually tells you the right thing to do. Some people call that gut instinct or a sixth sense. Deep down, you know.

The issue is you have bills to pay and family to consider. That changes things considerably.

But hell yeah it's an insult, especially if management at your old company didn't take any pay cuts or buyouts or weren't laid off. These top-level fucktards claim they're hurt by the processes and yet will pick up a bonus or continue at their current high salary levels all the while.

Good luck.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'd say take the job, but give 44 percent less effort ...

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

carter, this is a decision you have to make with zero input from us. do what you believe is right.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The pay obviously sucks but at least it's an income while you search. Hard as it may be, try not to get hung up on the insult. It's business. It's shitty business, but it's business.

I was laid off from my first full time job in the TV business. The boss offered to hire me back immediately, part time on weekends -- I would make minimum wage, working 29 hours in two days. (One more hour and they would have to include benefits.) I took it. I could have looked at it as an insult but I needed the paycheck. Within a month I got a job at a better station across town.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thank you, Xan.
    It's called taking responsibiltiy for your life (which includes a wfie, kids and a mortgage). What I think or what I would do means squat to your life situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted