1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insult or lifeline?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carter Gaddis, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Three weeks after I was laid off, I received a letter from my former company asking me if I would be interested in applying for an unexpectedly vacated position within the company. The open position apparently is with a different publication within the company. It's rated six pay grades lower than my former position. It pays about 44 percent less than my former salary.

I know of one other layoff victim who received the same letter. We both had the same reaction: Are you freaking kidding me?

Thing is ... it IS a job. And I do have a mortgage and two kids. And the severance package/unemployment insurance will only carry me so far. So, I wanted to throw this out there: Is this as insulting as it seems?

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not if the people who laid you off and now are throwing this lifeline also took 44 percent pay cuts.

In other words: Yes.

If you take their stinkin' scrap of a job, don't let up one bit on your job search. And leave them as high and dry as you can when you finally go for good.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Carter, you find your answer in the last graph.

I don't think it's insulting. (Then again, however, I'm not in your position.)

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Read the food stamps thread, then answer the question for yourself.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a little insulting, but pride doesn't pay the bills. I agree with Joe, though, keep your job search going and don't feel bad about walking away for something better on very short notice.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That's a fucking insult. I'd get food stamps before taking that job.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Food-stamp office isn't going to take too kindly to your saying "Well, I had a job opportunity, but the pay was just insulting!"

For that matter, neither is the unemployment office.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So you find a job that's not in journalism. I'd be a telemarketer, if the pay was good, before I'd crawl back to a company that fired me.

Plus, is it really a legitimate job "offer" if the letter was sent out to several other people?

9. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Yes, it's insulting.
    But:
    Yes, you have to pay the bills.
    Yes, you have to answer for people depending on you who are far more important than any job ever could be.

10. deskslave: To clarify, I wasn't offered this job. The letter, which was sent to at least one other former co-worker, was meant to gauge my interest.

Am I interested in going back to work (at roughly half the pay) for the company that just showed me the door after 16 years? Would you be?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, what an honor to be invited to merely apply for a job.

Kinda like winning a coupon in a contest.

Write them a letter. Tell them unless you are already hired that they should fuck off.

12. I see both views on this problem. I would try to find a new gig for a little bit, and if nothing bites, give them a call back.

Good luck, and God speed. I truly am sorry for this experience that you (and many, many others) definitely do not deserve to go through. You did great work, Carter, and will continue to do so wherever that may be.

Draft saved Draft deleted