1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instant Replay in Baseball? Michael Jack Schmidt thinks so...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Oct 26, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Few parks had angles with seats and other b.s. all around them. Minute Maid Park comes to mind as a place that's got a lot of architectural crap around the tops of the fences that can blur the lines of home run/not home run, and that's not the only such stadium.

There were unusual fences in many old parks, but the point on whether a ball was over (and onto a street, parking lot, etc.) or not was a helluva lot more simple. I say it's not unreasonable for umpires to get help on today's calls. Isn't the point to get it right?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Exactly right.

Ridiculous snarkiness you handled there.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Where does it stop? How about with disputed home runs - which come from "upstairs" - and each team gets one base play challenge a game, and one more for extra innings (no carry over)?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What happens if the "missed call" comes at the beginning of some long and winding play where the ball is thrown around afterward and other runs score/outs are registered?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let me check all the other sports and see which ones have instant replay.

Oh, all of them.

Get the fuck with the program, baseball.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Pet peeve on the reporting of this sort of story: The story should never say simply, for example, that "GMs want instant replay." I saw lots of instant replays during the last baseball season. That's nothing new. What the GMs want is "replay reviews." And if they are anything like the reviews in the NFL, the word "instant" isn't accurate.

7. joe

joe Active Member

A Steve Trachsel game would last six hours. I vote no.

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

And I still say no to on base reviews. I guess I could compromise and think it's OK to review home run calls, but most of the on-base stuff is correct anyway. The most questionable calls are usually balls and strikes, and there's no way to review those.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I say no replay reviews at all, but increase accountability by the umpires. If they make a blown call or if they're general shits, they need to be suspended/booted.

We saw Dave Trembley get suspended for three games for trying to "eject" an umpire. Maybe umpires ought to get suspended more often. Especially if we do find out that they bumped a player or acted excessively boorishly (ala Milton Bradley's case).

The NFL once penalized Gordon McCarter a game check for his actions in a game. Baseball, get with the fucking program.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Well, that would be an improvement.

Draft saved Draft deleted