1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instant Replay in Baseball? Michael Jack Schmidt thinks so...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It won't just be used for fair/foul, home run/not home run and plays at the plate.

Once it's implemented we'll be inundated every night with replay after replay of safe/out calls that were missed or phantom double play calls until the drumbeat starts to use it for those plays as well.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No. Nyet. Nein. No.

Dear lord, no.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For being a great player and a nice guy, Michael Jack sure likes to back some really stupid ass ideas.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096923

Maybe he was onto something.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have no problem with it for home run calls. The yellow lines are stupid, plus there's too many parks now with weird angles and such which make those decisions tough. The effort to get those calls right is worth the trouble, plus it's not like those occur every night anyway.

I recall hearing Bud being asked about replay once on the radio and he cited the pace of the game being disturbed. Are you effing kidding me? Anyone who sat through nine innings on television in this year's playoffs was either a diehard fan of one of the teams, an insomniac or buckweaver.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Torre Yankees would have been killed by a replay system.

Jeffrey Maier never happens.... Tim Tschida's and Rick Reed's disgustingly inept humongous calls in the 1999 ALCS get overturned.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Another bad idea destined to be forcefed upon us like the All Star Game deciding who gets home field advantage in the World Series. And the designated hitter.

However, my purist nature stops at interleague play. I love it when the Nats bash the Os heads in.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If it's relegated to strictly boundary calls, I think it'll be all right. As for delaying the game, those instances are so infrequent, it shouldn't disrupt all that often. I think the fans will be happy those calls are made correctly and will gladly sacrifice the 30 to 60 seconds it takes to get them right.

But I think this is just the beginning to how far this replay could go, and I don't think examining every controversial play is necessary. I've got enough faith in the umpires.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

And Jeremy Giambi is safe.

As for my opinion -- NO. FUCK NO.

Where do you draw the line? Can't review balls and strikes -- and I'd quit watching if they did. Can't review every out or safe call, most of which the umpires get right anyway. Home runs? I don't think you need it -- they get most of those right too. Forget double plays or first basemen yanking a foot, that's happened forever, every team does it, and it won't ever change, replay or not.

And if QuesTec was such a big deal, there's no way an actual replay system works.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, no parks ever had weird angles in the 130 years of professional baseball before this

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Balls & strikes: no.

Home runs, plays on bases, fair or foul: yes. No sport's officials are less accountable than baseball's. That's why it's umpired so poorly.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Very good.

Wow.

Strikes and balls have to be exempt.

Draft saved Draft deleted