1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instant Replay in Baseball? Michael Jack Schmidt thinks so...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20071025_Does_instant_replay_warrant_second_look_from_baseball_.html

He raises an interesting point. Thoughts from the board?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And one more thing:

NO!

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Absolutely not. No way. Fuck no. Nein.

4. No. Just because it works (most of the time) for football doesn't mean it would work for baseball. It makes me cringe just to think about it.

Which, of course, means Selig is drawing up a proposal for instant replay right now.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

If they used instant replay in baseball, you'd see just how many calls they get wrong. It'll never happen.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I was thinking more of the lax calls on double plays and on steals where the calls are made based on when the ball arrives in the fielder's glove, not whether the tag's actually made.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think it can be and should be used for disputed home runs (fair, foul, did it clear the wall?).

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only play I'll use to advocate instant replay in baseball is Jeter's home run in the 1996 ALCS, where that punk Jeffrey Maier took a ball from Tony Tarasco.

I don't think baseball needs it, though it does look tempting at times. Umpires know what they're doing. They don't need to keep their eyes on 22 players on the field to make sure they get every infraction whistled. With four sets of eyes on the pitcher, the hitter and the runners, the umpires are OK. I just think this issue is magnified in the postseason -- or play-in games -- for plays like Holliday's and Ramirez's long single, which was the right call, by the way.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't. Instant replay would embarrass clowns like Angel Hernandez and C.B. Bucknor on a regular basis.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Home-run balls fair or foul, yes.

Balls over the yellow line at some parks, yes. (For the record, any ball that hits above the yellow line at Jacobs IS a home run. A similar situation occurred at a regular-season game I attended two years ago.)

Close plays at the plate in games where it would impact the score, yes.

Balls and strikes -- although very tempting -- no.

I agree a majority of the umpires know what they are doing, but there are enough clowns working these games that replay is a viable option. I have to agree about idiots like Angel and C.B. Don't forget Sam Holbrook, either. If you used replay on his strike calls you'll find he gets them wrong all the time and gets very defensive about it when challenged.

Draft saved Draft deleted