1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instant Messaging -- friend or foe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by musicman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can IM on the newsroom system to others about games going on, but that's usually about it. Only in dead spots during the night, of course, because it's no good to IM on deadline.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, well, the cyborg emails me on deadline also.

Like I said, he's 4 feet away. Hasn't a clue how to talk to people, I guess.

I'd smack his head silly if I wasn't his boss.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I've worked at two places where we had a messaging system and I think it's definitely necessary. The place I work now has a huge office and when you have to deal with people from other departments it makes things much easier.

I also made the IT guys install AIM on my computer. There are nights that are so busy I won't log on. Frankly, it would piss me off if I worked at a place where they said I couldn't use it. It gives me a chance to have some sort of contact with the outside world and is a lot less distracting IMO than phone calls or listening to the iPOD during work.

Draft saved Draft deleted