1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instant Messaging -- friend or foe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by musicman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Used it to when I worked as a Web geek for a TV station. I was one of eight Web dorks nationwide that needed to communicate with each other daily. Much cheaper and quicker than phones.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Use our IM system with the 3-4 writers on staff who are comfortable with it. Simple to use, and quicker.

I also use text messaging with one of our writers, who's also a good friend that I text regularly anyway. He asks me for his newshole as he's driving back from a game, and I can shoot him back a reply.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Only problem with this is that you can't be 100 percent sure that it is the person you want the quote from. They could share their computer with someone or that person stepped away from their desk and someone else sat down and started chatting.

But yea, for the most part, it's not a bad tool.

4. musicman

musicman Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When we had e-mail problems at my last shop, I used the file-transfer function of AIM to send stories, photos, &c. Took away a lot of the nonsense involved with file attachments getting corrupted during the trip across the Internet --- StuffIt, send it, done with it.

6. musicman

musicman Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I've decided to remain only in the e-mail realm because distraction is my enemy.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've gotten so I spend little time logged on to AOL and just use the broadband connection. I like having friends; I just don't want to be that available and see it as kind of an imposition. If I want to communicate with somebody, I send an e-mail, which they can read when they feel like it.

8. not a concern

you can tell from context who you're talking to

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, that might be a generational thing.

Just like tone of voice on the phone, I can tell the context of an e-mail or IM, or if somebody is trying to impersonate somebody else, usually in an instant. I've grown up with it, and it's almost ingrained in me how to communicate through technology in a variety of situations. But I've found that doesn't seem to be the case for my Baby Boomer parents, my older co-workers and many people in their generation. There's a lot more misinterpretation of tone and context through e-mails, IMs, texts, etc.

10. sounds like a trend story to me

kids these days see email as passe, what their parents did

bizarre

11. I once sent an email making a necessary request to a much older, much higher-ranking superior. I used please and thank you and practically apologized for taking up his time.

The response was nothing short of terrifying ... I was reminded who I was talking to and to watch my tone ...

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

The guy that sits next to me sends me IM's instead of having a normal conversation.........give and take, whatever. He's 4 feet away. I tried to break him of the habit, but no go. So we talk muddle through the night by exchanging........dunno, 60 sets of IM's, I guess.

I think he's a cyborg.

Draft saved Draft deleted