1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Instant Messaging -- friend or foe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by musicman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. musicman

musicman Member

Curious to know how many folks use IM (ostensibly for work purposes)...I'm in the minority at our shop because I don't. But after becoming such a slave to e-mail and seeing others fiendishly pounding away on IM, it seems like it could easily degenerate from diversion to distraction. Is it at all a useful tool for practical work purposes? Any insights on your experiences with it are appreciated.

2. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

After having it years ago--and having in deteriorate with friends to the predictable "hey man what's up?" dopiness, I resisted getting it again for many years, just giving at my new job a few months ago. My solution is to only give out your IM information only to work people that need it--not to friends. With work people, there won't be any sort of unncessary distractions. With friends, it just becomes the worst time-waster in the world.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

We had it at one of the shops I work at. It was an internal messaging system only, linked to fellow employees in the shop.

It was ridiculous. It was designed (I think) to stop people from yelling "did you get my story?" or "page is done."

But it got to the point where, of course, the younger employees used it to gossip, joke, waste time. And, I thought it was weird that the person directly across from me (with just a little divider separating us) would message asking "where's the story on Joe Smith's firing?"

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

we used it at one place to communicate with the off site printing facility. better than calling after every page.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems like it would be the same to me. You spend 20 seconds sending a message that you sent a page vs. spending 20 seconds speaking a message that you sent a page.

Basically, IM is simply an excuse to be impolite. Unlike a simple phone conversation (which, in theory, should be the same as IM), IM gives one person the option of simply walking away (not answering) without being overtly rude and hanging up. That person can simply say, "Oh, I got called away from my desk" if asked. No need to even say goodbye.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

alright, let's time it...

sent 8A

nope, that took about a sec..

much faster and easier than dialing the number, waiting for an answer, "hey this is bydesign, sent 8A" Alright.

7. IM is an important part of my life. So there -- I guess I'm in the minority.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I finally convinced our IT guys that I need it for the weekends I'm on the road, just to stay in contact with other people in the other media area. It helped me immensely.

I use it more at home, but if we're just talking business, it definitely has its place.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

IM is definitely helpful for writers who spend their workday in a different town than the one their paper's based in...It's a handy way to keep in touch with multiple people at once without spending all day with the phone in your ear.

Plus -- I'm not going to lie -- it makes it a lot easier to B.S. with my friends.

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

My shop just got the OK for IM about a month ago ... don't know how we lived without it.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Used to be good for cybersex on AOL.com.

12. I don't work at a shop, I work at a newspaper, but I use Instant Messenger occasionally for work -- on deadline, need a quick quote from a guy I cover who's on IM? sure, I've done it. a lot of people who don't always answer their cell phones do return IMs (and emails). use it more often for background, info, just keeping in touch with people I cover and have covered ...

also use it to keep in touch with the desk guys. never have to call, always just IM

Draft saved Draft deleted