1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inspirational or "Fat Shaming"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How can you possibly know this?

A.) She works:

I am self-employed. I own two six-bedroom residential care homes for the elderly called Comforts of Home. Caring for elders in their last living years is an honor and another passion of mine. Residents are much like family, for they have witnessed every pregnancy and every new arrival. I have witnessed them laugh, eventually decline and am sometimes present at their death bed. Being self-employed provides flexible hours, however, it also means I could be up at 2am or often working during the weekends.

2.) She's a full time mom to three kids, three-years-old and younger.

Ho much more "time" do you think she has vs. someone with a "full-time" job?

2. YankeeFan

Who says you have to go to Zumba at 9:00?

In fact, if you look at the schedule of classes at gyms, and stand alone places like yoga, Zumba, Pilates, or Bar, they all offer classes very early in the morning, and then into the evening specifically to meet the work schedules of their clients.

Everyone's schedule is different, but if it's a priority, you make time.

Also, eating right is 50%, or more, of what it takes to be fit, and eating right doesn't take any more time than eating like shit. In fact, if you prep several meals at a time, it can take less time, and save money.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There's no shortage of excuses for those who seek them.

Let's not punish the ones who don't make any.

4. YankeeFan

Exactly.

Look, I'm no physical specimen, but I know that's because i don't work at it.

I would never look at a guy who was in great shape, and assume it was easy for him, or that he was able to get in shape because he had "more time" than me, or other advantages.

And, guys that are in shape, don't seem to face the backlash that women who are in shape do.

Guys mostly respect other guys that work out, and eat right.

But, women who are in shape, not only don't get the same respect, they're vilified for it -- almost shamed. People are calling this woman a slut, and/or a bad mother. it's crazy.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's wonderful what she's done, but if she wrote the "What's Your Excuse?" ad copy, well, she went from bright shining exemplar to exercise snob in 4.2 seconds. It's the snobbery that turns many people off from going to a gym, and turns them off to the idea of getting in better shape.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In some cases. It also motivates other people. Not every ad is going to appeal to your target audience. But some ads will hit some people, and other ads will appeal to others.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you want to be fit, you will do it. The biggest problem for most people is getting past that first two weeks of soreness and putting down the damn Super Size combo No. 6.

That's where it starts: lay off eating the junk. You don't even have to stop, just make it a treat instead of a staple.
    After that, all you need is 20-30 minutes, 3-4 days a week to get in a good bit of exercise. Yeah, I ran 10 miles this morning, and that takes a little while. I also get my butt out of bed at 5 a.m. and run 3 before going to work. I'm back in the house and in the shower by 5:30; then it's on with my day.

Some people are big just because they are big people, and it can't be helped. I live in one of the fattest counties in one of the fattest states. I really have no time or sympathy for sloven drains on society. I get a kick out of walking from a back parking spot at Walmart, seeing a car full of fat adults and children circling the parking lot, doing my shopping, and coming out only to find them still circling looking for a spot near the door.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody is punishing her for having a great body. It's what she said that ticked people off.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She must be a vegan.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Those are the shoes you wear. If they're comfortable for you, great. But don't make those who don't choose to do daily exercise into villains.

Many of us outlived Jim Fixx.

And believe me, Joe ... those sloven drains on society have little time or sympathy for healthniks.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'll accept that, overall. My problem isn't with large people. It's with large people in my area. Around here, there is a direct correlation between being slobs and being on government assistance. I know that doesn't hold true 100 percent of the time. But in my town, my county, it goes hand in hand. The only exercise most of these type people get is walking to the mailbox to get their check on the third of the month, or to be more precise, the only exercise they get is telling their fat kids to walk to the mailbox to get their check which perpetuates the cycle.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The story said she brings her kids to her gym, which has a babysittting service. That doesn't exactly sound like she's getting her kids up at 5 a.m. so she can bring them to the gym to work out. It implies that she's bringing the kids into the gym during what, for a big part of the world, although not necessarily for journalists, is normal working hours. And for other working moms, night hours are when they spend time with their kids, or are getting them ready for bed.

Draft saved Draft deleted