1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inspirational or "Fat Shaming"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

All one father.

You, especially, should know that with bi-racial kids, they can look pretty different:

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The "genetic lottery" doesn't pay out that way. I don't care who you are. You worked to get a body like that. Especially after having kids.

Plus, I just read on about this woman. She sounds a bit messed up. Has had weight problems (there goes the genetic lottery theory) and struggled with bulimia before getting that fit.

Plus, she says a reason she became so passionate about fitness was that her mom -- those genes -- died young. Her mom had diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure and a stroke at a young age.

3. YankeeFan

This is just so wrong. If you want a metabolism that works like that, you have to exercise and build lean muscle.

Except in rare cases, we all have the ability to get in shape. It just takes hard work and discipline. To dismiss folks who are in good shape as winners of a genetic lottery is not only a convenient excuse for our own shortcomings, but it also dismisses the hard work of those who are in good shape.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Her blog also says she's a stay-at-home mom (albeit a "night ninja", whatever the hell that is). With all due respect to the hard work of stay-at-home moms, they still have more time on their hands than a mother who also is working a full-time job.

She has more time to work out, rather than a mom who is exhausted from her job and then comes home to take care of her kids. She has time to start fitness classes and bring her kids to the gym so she can work out because she doesn't have work obligations.

5. YankeeFan

Lack of time is an excuse.

It's about priorities. If fitness is a priority, you make the time.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'll see your fat-shaming and double-down with some old fashioned Mommy-guilt-tripping.

"Wow. I bet her kids would love it if she spent more time with them. Too bad she's at the gym doing stomach crunches."

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I don't know why everyone is so upset about this. There is such a shortage of good running backs in the world today, we need AP's spawn to help bring back old school football.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Disagree. Those running backs are now being used on defense as hybrid LBers/
    DBs that have the speed to play in space.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

That extra 15 years of life she gets than me really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of being dead FOR ETERNITY and NOT GETTING TO ENJOY SATURATED FATS.

That's my excuse. And it's kinda bulletproof.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The bottom line, and I think I agree:

If you want to work at being a beacon of health, good for you. But don't for a second think that makes you better than the next person who's not in as good a shape.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're not getting the point. It is much easier for her to make the time than somebody with a full-time job, so I can get some people having a problem with how she presented her message.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I'm sorry, Boss, I can't make it in until 11 a.m., I have a Zumba class at 9."

That'll go over really well.

Draft saved Draft deleted