1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insomnia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 21, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

"Self massage"

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If it's not a long time, chronic problem, you might not have to worry about taking medication for it.

I'm a terrible sleeper. I used to suffer from classic insomnia as well as interrupted sleep.
    I still experience occassional bouts of insomnia, but it has become much less of a problem over the past few years.
    However, I still only sleep in short shifts. Never more than two hours, and usually 45 to 90 minutes at a time.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Take a look at a new mattress... seriously...

We just got a memory foam and sleep better than ever before

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Subject of sleep didn't come up, but my doctor mentioned this to me when I went in for my semi-regular blood work. Might even involve a trip to the sleep clinic.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Don't even consider Ambien until you Google Ambien sleepwalking. People have been convicted of a wide variety of crimes because they were active and ambulatory while still "asleep." I don't know how you can still be asleep if your eyes are open and you are operating a motor vehicle, but Ambien knows how!

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I won't dispute that some people report bad stuff with it, including a brother-in-law who is going through that whole sleep-problem diagnosis thing now (if I could get to sleep knowing I'm being "observed" and having wires hooked up to me, I wouldn't say I have a sleep problem).

Ambien is what works for me. In fact, if I am especially amped up from deadline adrenaline, it's the only way I'm going to get some sleep. In my experience, it's wonderful -- nearly instant sleep without feeling fucked up during or after.

Now as to why my next-door neighbor turned up dead a few nights ago, I have no idea. I am as baffled as the cops are.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First, take a look at how much caffeine you are taking in during the day. Try cutting back or limiting caffeine after a certain time. I went the Tylenol PM route for a while, but found that I couldn't sleep unless I did that. Then there's always the token advice that people have like turning off the TV before bed and reading a book to shut off your brain. Get up a little earlier in the day and try to get some exercise to tire yourself out.

If those don't work, or if you've already tried them, you might try going to a doctor or a psychiatrist to see if you either have a medical condition or excess stress.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sleep apnea or no sleep apnea - I'm not sleeping with this rig on.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Yeah, some people go batshit crazy on it. Once you take it, especially if you've battled years upon years of insomnia, you'll be glad you rolled the dice.

I'd really like to see the percentage, because I'm really figuring it's like less than a tenth of one percent. If that high.

And I know people who look at that and say, "Even that's way too high." But those always seem to be doing very unhealthy things that have a much higher percentage of killing you.

Nutshell: Fall asleep quickly. Wake up after 6-7 hours completely well rested, no groggy feeling whatsoever.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider if you're worried about apnea is those Breathe-Right strips that you tape on your nose.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. beanpole

beanpole Member

I talked to my doctor about this today because I'm in the same boat. His suggestions:

_ No soda or coffee after 7 p.m.
    _ Try to have a regular bedtime.
    _ Dim the lights about 30 minutes before going to bed.
    _ Don't do anything in bed except sleep and "your business," as he said with a grin. Get rid of the bedroom TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted