1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insomnia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm begging for advice on how to fix this:

I haven't had a decent, full night's sleep in weeks. I've tried everything I can think of, short of taking pills. Don't want to go down that route because I've seen several friends get hooked on them. Same goes for booze.

Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with insomnia and how you did it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Good for anti-anxiety, too. A natural tranquilizer. Don't take with booze.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to deal with this all the time on the road. I started taking Melatonin (it's over the counter) and it worked like a charm.

I, also wanted no part of Ambien or anything like that.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

See a doctor, maybe?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know you said no pills, but sometimes I'll take a couple of Tylenols. It just relaxes me enough to allow me to fall asleep.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wake up every 45-60 minutes. Every night. It's ... awesome?

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I wake up 1-2 times every night. I can't remember the last time I slept through the night and felt great in the morning.

LJB, I'll give that stuff a try.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They smell like bad feet. And tend to rob you of your ambition, so I wouldn't take them during the day. Apathy (the good kind) is a side effect. But I dealt with this for about a year and they've done the trick. If they don't work, try tryptophan pills. I found those made me too tranquil and much groggier than I need to be.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You may have sleep apnea. There are people on this board who can educate you about that.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I know you said no pills, but a dose of Tylenol PM (or Advil PM or Simply Sleep) puts me out when I'm having trouble sleeping.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And if she doesn't fall asleep after you get done fuckin', well, you got more fuckin' to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted