1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

InsideMDSports.com Seeking Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JME, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JME

JME Member

InsideMDSports.com, a leading online outlet for University of Maryland sports and recruiting coverage, is seeking a reporter to provide coverage of Terrapins sports and recruiting. Qualified applicants must have an understanding of the recruiting world and be capable of breaking news and writing clean copy. Pre-existing contacts among high school, AAU and college coaches are a plus.

Interested applicants, please email a cover letter, resume and three clips to jeff@shellmag.com.

Jeff Ermann
    Publisher
    InsideMDSports.com

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Would this be a full-time position?

For other reporters, how much would these positions typically pay?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It's a start up 247Sports site. Likely pay $200/month tops.

4. JME

JME Member

Like many of the sites on 247 -- including some of the largest Rivals.com sites that recently made the move -- we're actually not a start-up. We've been around for about two-and-a-half years.

Pay is significantly more than that, and will be discussed with serious candidates.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do inform if this is a full-time position. If not, it belongs on our freelance board.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

How much do those Rivals or Scouts guys make?

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I don't have anything against 247 and actually find it to be an interesting business model, but despite age, 247 is still a start up, especially with how small the recruit database is.

8. JME

JME Member

Indeed it is.

Based upon age -- the network launched late last summer -- it would be considered a start-up. It's a very strong one, with somewhere in the range of 25,000 subscribers already. Some of the largest team sites have made the move to 247Sports. We're not as big or as old as, say, a BamaOnline or Bucknuts, but as a site, we're also not a start-up. InsideMDSports.com is home to the largest University of Maryland sports community on the Web.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My experience has been that 247 pay has been good. They've exceeded the pay of Scout and Rivals in some areas and they offer benefits (though, if I understand correctly, no 401K).

I don't know if that's universal. But it has been my experience.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Hmm...what do those guys usually earn?

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'll put it like this: They've been proven to spend money to land people who they think are going to help them "win" a particular market. Without naming names, I know of a case where they offered a newspaper writer enough to make him leave a good, solid, major college beat job to work for them (covering the same beat, obviously). It wasn't like this guy was looking at being cut from his paper, it was a step up, an offer he couldn't turn down. In other cases, they've been willing to spend money to get proven recruiting guys to leave Scout and Rivals sites (or they've just taken over the Rivals site altogether).

So I don't thnk there's slotted salary for people in particular jobs. But I do think there's a mentality of winning individual markets. Part of the strategy, it appears, is hiring the people you need to hire to win those markets, which means being willing to spend money to get those people. That may differ market to market.

12. superhater

superhater Member

They're not paying like a start-up, from what I've heard. It was started by the guys (Bobby Burton & Shannon Terry) who founded Rivals, and they've been pretty aggressive, as BG noted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.