1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside the Red Sox meltdown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mike Timlin was on a Toronto radio station today and gave a pretty good interview. He sounded disgusted with the stories about Lackey, Lester and Beckett, saying what they were doing was definitely not commonplace nor acceptable.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think skepticism is warranted. He did, however, in his comments point out that he doesn't think Tito is the best manager in the game. That there are others who handle the clubhouse much better, the line-up better, etc. And he did sort of imply that the manager wasn't blameless in this. But most of his comments were directed at ownership.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Some guy named Chris Jones and Jonah Keri had an interesting discussion about all this on a website I've never heard of called Grantland.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/6378/boston-the-red-sox-and-anonymous-sources

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pardon me if I take Curt Schilling a lot more seriously in all this than Peter Gammons.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Peter taking the homeboy approach, versus Schilling, who has nothing to lose.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

John Henry made Schilling at least $60M richer. Schilling is lacking in gratitude as well as common restraint.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Never question Massah Henry. He gives us these nice jobs, nice clothes, and doesn't whip us too much.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

These guys have been going apeshit all day.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/68628-is-john-lackey-the-most-hated-player-in-red-sox-history/

Like watching an ant farm.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I know I'm going to get blasted for bringing my "jetes fanboy" viewpoint into this thread, but...

I keep hearing people say Jeter is overrated as the Yankee captain. Well, would the Yankee Captain ever, in a million years, allow any of what went on in Fenway to happen in the NY clubhouse?

The answer is "NO"

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just for the record, the NYT sold its stake in the Red Sox.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Separate question: Which division will become the 'elite' division over the next decade?

I don't think it will be the AL East - Boston and Tampa are dying. I'm honestly worried about NY - they have too much money and years tied up in deadweight like ARod and Tex, when they could have gone after younger players like Beltre (last winter) or Fielder this winter.

I think it will be the AL Central:

Detroit - they've made the jump to Big Market team.
    Chicago - I think Ventura could be the next Torre (star player turned HOF manager)
    Cleveland - They have some talent and can rebuild quickly
    Minnesota - bad year, but if they get healthy and Gardenhire pulls the pacifier out of Mauer's mouth...

Kansas City - it can't get any worse?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The AL East or the NL East, with an outside chance of the NL West. They have the biggest media markets between them. Your talk of an AL East downslide seems quite premature, since it involves quite a bit of forecasting, which you could do with any division.

At the turn of the 2000s, the AL West was a juggernaut, with all four teams making the playoffs at various points. Now, it has one strong team (Texas), a falling competitor (Angels), and two middling teams (Athletics and Mariners). Fortunes can turn quickly and randomly in baseball, so outside of the simple axiom that bigger markets have a greater chance of success, I don't think you can really forecast teams out more than 1 to 3 years. (Even for all the dirt being heaped on the Red Sox's grave by talk radio people, they're a bounceback season from Carl Crawford or Clay Buchholz or Player X away from making the playoffs.)

Draft saved Draft deleted