1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside the Red Sox meltdown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My thought too. Seems like Larry Luchino has his hands all over this one.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agreed. I didn't want to get into that whole can of worms, but the Globe is generally seen as the house organ for Red Sox management.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The players got $300 headphones and a party on the owner's yacht? Since when did the Boston Red Sox become the University of Miami Hurricanes?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I took it to mean that of the key regulars and pitchers those three were the only ones putting in the work.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It can't get any better than pill-popping and playing video games in the clubhouse during games.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should have stuck to doing shots.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How could I forget about that whole ownership stake.

8. Well if they were getting blowjobs from groupies and making it rain at the makeshift stripper pole in the bullpen. ...

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

This does have the slight odor of the classic Red Sox method of doing things. It's almost too perfect that the only players who performed down the stretch (Papelbon, Pedroia, Aceves) are also the only ones who come off as being good team guys. I'd imagine that Nomar, Damon and Manny would see a lot of similarities between this piece and the dirt that just happened to be found when they each left town. The Globe manages to find "sources" that vilify selected payers who have either left or fallen out of favor. Varitek and Francona's personal lives weren't any less interesting in the past, but they weren't noteworthy until today? Please...

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How hard is it to say that everyone has to be on the bench or in the bullpen during games? And no beer until after the game is done?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Poor work ethic is considered a quirk if you're doing well. Pill-popping is just a bad habit when you're managing a team destined for the playoffs.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If Tampa Bay loses two more games and the Red Sox get hot for a few weeks in October, everyone writes a puff piece about how awesomely loose the Red Sox clubhouse was.

Draft saved Draft deleted