1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside the Red Sox meltdown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since the dispute hinges on the definition of a front office promotion in baseball's rules, who the hell else but Selig COULD resolve the dispute if the two parties can't reach agreement? The antitrust exemption lets the courts out.
    I understand the Sox ownership are vindictive people who've been deeply humiliated. But it certainly doesn't make business sense to hold on to an important executive who wants to leave for the sake of some minor league prospect. It just delays their own decision-making process for little reward.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If there's no agreement, and Selig doesn't step in, then Epstein is under contract with the Red Sox for 2012. Courtesy says they should let him go for a promotion, but there's no rule about it.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It is typical Red Sox. Always owed something. Even when one of their employees decides he wants to work for somebody else.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bob Nightengale just tweeted that Theo to the Cubs is done.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

After what the car salesman's done for Henry, he could tell little, snotty John to take one for the team.

Not holding my breath.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did Gammons call bullshit on the Red Sox' racist ways in the 1970s and 1980s? Or did he just take the Sox on their word that they weren't accepting free passes to the Winter Haven Elks, even though Jim Rice told him they were? I'd post you a link but you might make fun of it. Anyway, a guy who consumes as much Boston media and knows as much about the ins and outs of Boston media and finds it necessary to instruct the rest of us on how the Boston media works would know this story, or where to confirm it. I'm absolutely sure of it.

And thanks. Nobody knew that an ESPN Boston story would have a Boston slant to it. Gosh what would we do without you leading us?

Also, thanks for finally confirming the year Shaughnessy's daughter interned for Werner. I'm very sorry I've been away the last 10 days and haven't been able to begin sifting thru the Globe website. However I will do so shortly and report to you my findings. And if there are no findings, I'll tell you that too. After all: That's what people of my ilk do.

7. Bringing this back because it needs to be said that since Bob Hohler's hit piece on Terry Francona came out he has not answered any questions about the article.

I wish Bobby Valentine all the best but Terry Francona deserved better and someone should be asking Hohler why so many un-named sources were used and why he went into hiding once it went to print.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The answer to all is Larry Luchino. The guy is a slim ball.

9. dmc

dmc Guest

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21159041/francona-big-show-someone-cut-my-legs-out

Francona was on weei yesterday, of all days, for a long arranged dinner with a contest winner. I didn't hear the interview, but there is this article.

Draft saved Draft deleted