1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside the family restroom: Feedback requested

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AtTheZoo, Aug 25, 2007.

1. AtTheZoo

AtTheZoo New Member

Last weekend:

In the mall's large family restroom, there are three people adults: Man 1, Woman 1 (his wife) and Man 2.

Man 1 is standing with the stroller. Woman 1 is behind a curtain.

Man 2 walks in, sees the table where one would probably change a child is a bit wet, so he goes to see if there are more changing tables behind the curtain, which is unmarked.

Woman 1 is nursing behind said curtain. Man 2 quickly averts his eyes, apologizes, says he's never been in one of these before and heads back to change the child by the damp table.

Woman 1 is furious. She asks Man 1, "Aren't you going to say anything?" Man 1 says "I thought he was going to go to the bathroom."

Woman 1 finishes up around the same time Man 2 is putting child's clothes back on. She is whipping the curtain around in such a way that makes it clear that she is angry. Man 1 does not say anything. Man 2 does not look. It is clear he prefers that this be the end of it. Man 2 walks out.

The Questions:
    • Were the reactions of Man 1, Man 2 and Woman 1 appropriate?
    • Does Woman 1 have a legitimate beef with either Man 1 or Man 2?

2. AtTheZoo

AtTheZoo New Member

OK, good. Judging by 'weaver's response, I've made this post "point of view neutral."

That's what I want, honest, unbiased responses, though why you'd be biased about someone you don't know and who's made one post would be a fair question, too.

Carry on ...

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, you meant to register to post at daddydaycare.com. Guess you hit the wrong bookmark.

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Meanwhile, Kid 1, slurping on the teat of bitchiness, shat himself.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Woman 1 is a shrew who needs counseling.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Guy 2 who pulls the curtain open and sees baby sucking on one teet should've asked the woman if he can take a slurp from the other teet.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This sounds like one of those Car Talk quizzers.

First, Man 2 did nothing wrong. Perhaps he shouldn't have pulled back the curtain, but if he's never been in one of those restrooms before, he probably thought it was like the men's room, where you push back the toilet stall door to see if someone is indeed in there.

Second, and I say this as a man who knows nothing about being in a nursing situation, it sounds to me like Woman 1 is overreacting somewhat toward Man 2 and Man 1. She's being passive-aggressive and won't say anything to Man 2, because she expects her husband (Man 1) to be her knight in shining armor and give Man 2 a good what-for. I also suspect that Woman 1 and Man 1 have had this argument before. Also, it's clear she's a first-time mother (because her reaction tells me she has not become familiar and comfortable with nursing, at least not enough to know that these accidents sometimes happen). Thus, why she flipped out. Once Man 2 apologized, she should have said, "That's OK, I know you didn't mean it," and left it at that, as far as Man 2 is concerned.

But Man 1 is not off the hook. Once Man 2 approached the curtain, he should have said at that point, "Oh, excuse me, my wife is in there." I presume he, like many of us men, was not paying attention (another argument Man 1 and Woman 1 probably have had before). Also, I would think Woman 1 had asked Man 1 to be in the room for the expressed purpose of warning people she was nursing behind the curtain. Otherwise, why should he be in the room, too? (Perhaps she didn't want to touch a bathroom door to open it while holding a child, or hasn't figured out how to do that yet. But otherwise, he serves no purpose in there.) So when Man 2 opened the curtain, Man 1 had failed in his duty. So Man 1 deserved to a lashing for screwing up. However, Woman 1 should have waited until they were out of the bathroom, and away from Man 2, perhaps even told Man 1 that "we'll talk about this later," but not jumped on him right there in front of everyone else. Man 2 did nothing wrong - there's no sense in embarrassing everyone around you (including yourself) by going off like that. But Man 1 deserved some heat.

If some of my assumptions are incorrect, please let me know. I'm just reading in based on the information I'm given.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think this is reason enough to stay the fuck out of unisex restrooms.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who registered a new name just to ask about this bullshit?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stars with B, ends with S and there's a big oot in the middle?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This is why I pee in the parking lot behind Sears.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Her back teat was her front teat, and it was a good teat.

Draft saved Draft deleted