1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside story on creation of "Madden"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100805/madden

pretty good stuff

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Only a small blurb about EA buying the rights to be the only football/NFL game? Interesting.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good stuff. First Madden I ever played was '92. Bet I still have it in a box in the basement. Haven't played it in years, much prefer the NCAA football games.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

*cough* ESPN partnership with EA. *cough, cough*

Otherwise, yeah, fascinating read. I had no idea they were behind the other Sega football game, which Montana endorsed.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That was outstanding. I really enjoyed the photo gallery with a look at each year.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Between all of the iterations of Madden and the equally great High Heat baseball series he also created, Trip Hawkins is singularly responsible for wasting more of my time than any person who has ever walked the Earth.

SJ can't hold a candle to Trip.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I get it. But they put that fact out front early in the story, and it was still entertaining.

8. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

The photo gallery was a trip. I can remember being blown away by the graphics on some of those games. Now I wonder how I ever played them.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Glad to see the love for High Heat. Tried to get 2K3 playing recently, but apparently it doesn't work well with Windows 7. ... Closest I've come to recreating the joy is playing Baseball Mogul these days.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A very, VERY cool story.

rb

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

HH2k4 works pretty well with XP. HH2k3 is choppy. Both are outstanding.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here's a question. Clearly the game is the thing - but how much of a role in the success did having Madden's name on the thing.
    Would it be as popular with Berman? Chuck Noll? Merlin Olsen? What would have happened if it was OJ Simpson Football?
    The only other group I could see having the same success would have been having Gifford, Merideth and Cosell do the commentary.

Draft saved Draft deleted