1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside Amazon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 17, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're not very smart.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Like I said, the Hunger Games approach has its benefits from a business standpoint. Yet some companies still seem to do well by creating a workplace culture in which employees are treated with fairness, respect, dignity and civility. You can be nimble without fucking over people.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I like when you reach for that one because it means I'm right.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn't Gawker run a "Horror stories" series written by current and/or former Wal-Mart employees not long ago?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I also have no problem with Amazon doing this to people if they know this is the type of business they are going to work for.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, I worked at Gannett, so yeah. I concede your points here.

Baron Scicluna and YankeeFan like this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. And as other companies follow suit, I'm sure it will be more common. (Anecdotally, I've heard Tesla is a particularly horrible sandpit for humanity, even within the tech world.)

The big problem is all of this runs up against what the tech industry says are its big new initiatives of diversity and work-life balance. It's obvious the only thing they want and will want are males, Asian and white, between 22 and 27 years old. If you're going to grow out of that age range that's OK, as long as you don't actually do any of the things that people in their 30s like to do.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How'd Xerox's invention of ethernet/the graphical user interface/object-oriented programming pan out?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did your dictionary just happen to open on the page that has the definition of "equifinality" on it?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This also of course feeds in with tech companies' eternal lament that they "can't find qualified Americans" and must expand the H1B visa program. By accepting these conditions as inevitable and necessary, we condone a system that brings in more indentured servants at half the pay and benefits and with 100-hour workweeks. Then tech companies lament that Americans won't work as hard as the Chinese and Indian laborers, and we need even more H1B visas. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Lugnuts likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This is why — unlike Amazon — newspapers' list of principles totals exactly one line: How did we handle this last year?

bigpern23 and Mr. Sunshine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted