1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inside Amazon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 17, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times is back with another tough story about Amazon.

It's amazing how the Post got beaten on this. I guess if you quit the LVJR on principle, you don't need to send your resume to the Post.

It's also going to be fun when the Post runs their big Trump story (50 reports are working on it!), and Trump tracks Bezos.

2. YankeeFan

Can you imagine having to wear something like this, or if Amazon tries to make their wharehouse workers wear them?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The nudging if you do something wrong is next level creepy. But companies have had the ability to track employee movements via RFID name badges for years now.

4. YankeeFan

The wrist device could — theoretically — track hand movements, that would show how efficient someone was working, not just where they are, which takes it to another level.

It’s almost like tracking the mechanics of a pitcher, or a golfer. You could make improvements where you see flaws.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This stuff isn’t at all new.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Place my wife works isn't quite as high-tech.

They moved her from one department to another one day, and when she asked why she was put over there, she was told, "Because I wanted the two people working next to you to see how quickly the job can be done."

7. YankeeFan

Stop critiquing every post I make!

Members of the posse are supposed to dole likes. Stop playing professor and leave the criticism to those outside the circle of trust, damn it.

SpeedTchr and doctorquant like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Railroads already use inward facing camera systems for locomotive cabs, and systems that analyze an engineer's every move, to detect distraction, and if you took your eyes off the tracks long enough to open a pack of gum.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What do you expect when you work for $2 an hour?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's been at least 10 years ... it was back when my classrooms actually had VCRs ... that I'd show a several-years-old video showing, among other things, automotive mirrors (side mirrors, actually) being assembled. To facilitate the JIT production schedule being followed by the auto manufacturer customer, the various mirror configurations were made using mixed-model scheduling (this mirror might have options A, C and D, but the next one might have options B and C only, etc.). Wristbands tracked which bins of components the worker would reach into, and beep loudly if the worker reached into the wrong one (as per the schedule for this particular mirror being assembled). Fascinating stuff.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted