1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Insert name) once said ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scouter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

Yes, he was third but he had the second-highest GPA, therefore making him the salutatorian. In a perfect world, there would only be one valedictorian, but these two took as many honors/AP classes as possible (they have weighted grades so you can have a higher than "perfect" GPA) and got straight A's. I'd say they earned it.

At least it wasn't like my older sister's graduating class, which had 17 valedictorians. That's the reason they went to the weighted scale for honors/AP classes.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"and don't forget to give back..."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Trust me on the sunscreen.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because, God forbid, society chooses one student stand out from the rest at the risk of scarring kids and their parents. Think of it as advanced level participation trophies.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Plastics.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, when I was six years old my father said to me...
    Miss Teschmacher: "Get out."
    Lex Luthor: Ha ha. Before that. He said, "Son, stocks may rise and fall, utilities and transportation systems may collapse. People are no damn good, but they will always need land and they'll pay through the nose to get it! Remember," my father said...
    Otis: "... land."
    Lex Luthor: Right.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY!!!!!

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My high school, class of 168, 17 kids with perfect GPAs. Many of them vocational tech students, which makes for some angry rich kids' parents who had to threaten teachers every semester for their kids' perfect grades.

End result: No valedictorian.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think we only had one valedictorian. Can't remember. All I remember was that for our guest speaker we had our french teacher -- our class was her last at our school. Except I stopped taking french in after Grade 7. She went on for 45 minutes, she kept breaking into french during her speach, she did the entire speach with her back turned to us, and my dad fell asleep. Then I got really drunk at the party.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I graduated during the summer at my high school. The school system had a countywide graduation at my high school's auditorium for those who had to take one or two classes during the summer to graduate.

No valedictorian. However, they had one student reading the Pledge of Allegiance and one student introducing the keynote speaker. Both students served as flag bearers.

I was the student the school picked to introduce the keynote speaker, so I sat on the stage. After I got my diploma, I went back to sit with the other students on the floor. Wouldn't you know it, the kid whom I sat next to asked if my speech meant I was the summer school valedictorian.

Not with my GPA, but it was fun to have that question asked.

12. That's my thinking ... but, nope.

Draft saved Draft deleted