1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Insert name) once said ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scouter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

I went home Sunday to attend my little sister's high school graduation. There were five people who spoke at the cerremony (salutatorian, two valedictorians, class president and principal). Every one of them (even the principal!), at some point during their time at the podium, used a variation of "Soandso once said ..."

This must be stopped.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A guy I knew once said the same thing.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They all must have read Peter King's speech at Ohio U

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If they had TWO valedictorians, doesn't it make it not possible to have a salutatorian? Wouldn't that person be third?
    They couldn't sack up and pick one valedictorian?

But, as to your question, yeah, I hear you. Fuck that, homes. Tell me what YOU say, huh?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's hard to come up with unique ideas for speeches. As Fran Lebowitz once said, "Original thought is like original sin: both happened before you were born to people you could not have possibly met."

7. I agree with Moddy. What's the deal with two valedictorians?

8. Y'all don't pay attention to HS graduations anymore huh?
    My middle sister, 3 valedictorians, 6 salutatorians and as Ray Stevens sang "nine boring speeches in all."
    Multiple is the norm.

9. Boom_70

"What possible meaningful life lessons can a sportswriter and a face-for-radio TV guy give to 4,000 kids as they start their lives in the real world? What I thought I'd do preparing this is what I do for a living: report. I asked some famous people I know what advice they'd have for the OU class of 2008. I asked Dick Ebersol, the NBC Sports poohbah. He said, "Always ask why.'' I asked Peyton Manning. He said, "Don't forget where you came from. Make your family part of your life every day.'' I asked Bob Costas. He said, "Things are very seldom black and white. Don't demonize. Try to understand.'' I asked the 35-year-old coach of the Steelers, Mike Tomlin, who some of you might love ... and some might not. He said, "When we're kids, we dream wildly. As we grow up, we dream realistically. We shouldn't. I got where I am today by being a ridiculous dreamer.'' Peter King

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's such a pity her sister Fawn died in that tragic kiln accident.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I don't really want a 17-year-old I've watched vomit tell me how to live my life. Rather hear some good quotes from people who have actually lived, you know?

12. Boom_70

As Otis Day once said "it's good to be here tonight."

Draft saved Draft deleted