1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Insert airline here) sucks running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

JetBlue has a huge presence at Logan and Southwest not so much. I used JetBlue a lot because it had the only non-stop between Boston and Jacksonville where my parents lived. I will definitely pay more for a nonstop to anywhere. I haven't flown since January 2, 2019, the day Alice and I returned from a visit to our daughter in France. Air France is OK. Delta's transatlantic service to Paris and to Amsterdam was excellent. If it weren't for Hope, I'd never set foot in an airport again. Now of course, I couldn't go to France if I wanted to since I live in Plague Nation.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was really looking forward to going to France this summer, but c'est la vie. Like Moddy, I am not eager to get on a plane any time soon, and I won't have to. My work is all in state (or in bordering states) and our annual golf administrators conference has been canned for this year. Or at least I assume it will be canned. Even by November, I can't see where people are going to come from all over the US and Canada to meet in Texas in hotel conference rooms for several days.

maumann likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was a problem with our dog's boarding pass (really) when he was making his trip to the US, and it turned out they had to stay in Paris one night before moving on. Air France put them up in a beautiful hotel and treated the dog like a king. Wife always appreciated them for that. She did not appreciate the condition of her luggage upon arriving in America. A huge rip in the fabric and a broken computer.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'll be happy to never fly again. That doesn't go over real well with my family -- who want a trip to Europe sometime after we can all safely travel again -- nor especially with the wife, who wants a 25th anniversary trip to the Florida Keys next year. I'm hoping we can catch a boat in Galveston that'll drop us off there.

maumann likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My last flight was December of 2012. My anxiety had gotten so bad that I started panicking in the airport parking lot. If I never step foot in a plane again, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Our plan for Europe would be to take Cunard across (or a repositioning cruise). I'm perfectly happy driving the motorhome around North America, where I can get out and stretch my legs if I have a panic attack.

Woody Long, Hermes and Flip Wilson like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Spirit is good for a short trip. Somewhere that's a two-hour flight and you're spending three days there. As long as you have a reasonably sized backpack, you're good. Flew LAX-PIT on Spirit a few years ago — four-hour flight that wasn't the most fun thing I've done, but it could've been a lot worse. I have about 120,000 JetBlue points I have to burn through at some point, but who knows when that'll happen.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Spirit/Frontier . . . Disney-like lines at TSA . . . masks for hours at a time . . . likely brawls at 33,000 feet. Sounds like a blast!

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My mom turns 75 in a few weeks… we usually get put into the pre-check line. Being older has its perks. She doesn’t realize how big of a deal this is.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Just came on here to post that I LOVE Spirit! (missed the thread the first time around) We once flew round trip from Plattsburg NY to Myrtle Beach, 2 of us for $100! Not lately but still for us it has been very affordable. Many airlines are 500 round trip per person. Hope they don't wreck it.
    And really, if people to a tiny bit of research they know about any added costs and about size and weight requirements on luggage. For a while, we kept clothes at the beach and just brought underwear in a travel bag, didn't cost anything. I know some people like bells and whistles but unless it is a long overseas flight, give me cheap, no frills.

11. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I've dealt with similar anxiety, though once I had to do it repeatedly for work, it eased a bit. And I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I'd have a beer or two to calm my nerves once past security.

I haven't flown since early 2019 and I haven't missed it. There has to be a serious time or money savings for me to elect to fly. I'd rather drive or take the train if at all possible.

wicked and maumann like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Spirit is the one airline you can recognize from the ground.

I flew this past September coast to coast for business and have few qualms about it.

As for the train, Amtrak's new Venture coaches have 17-inch wide seats, like airlines, and the backs don't recline.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted